The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering....I see all sorts of complex top off systems here. But I have a simple question about an idea...

If I have a tub of top-off water above my sump in the basement, and it flows through a gravity fed tube into the sump.....can't I just attach the tube so the opening is at my desired water-level? So when the level drops, water flows...and when it reaches a certain point it stops....

Thanks

Pat

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
No, watter will always seek the lowest point available.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a hole drilled in it, super glued in a fitting for airline tubing, connected the tubing with a small valve. I control the rate of flow with the valve.

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
It will only work if top tank is AIR! tight and supply line from reserve is large enough to allow air to burp up.
The water level will be the same as opening of supply line.

A lot like a hampster bottle..

·
1,262 Posts
That's more trouble than it's worth... Just use airline tubing with a valve and you'll be fine.. It may take a day or so to fine tune the drip rate, but once you lock it in, just keep filling hte bucket and you should be ok...

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
The float valve is the way to go!
Buzz Down south here our evaperation rate fluctuates alot!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah I'm afraid to leave a top-off going at a constant drip rate while I'm out of town... my tank sometimes goes for 3 days before needing top-off, some weeks needs it daily.

Float valve and a powerhead in a bucket is looking like a good plan now.

·
1,262 Posts
Ahhh.... I have a pretty consistant rate of evaporation...

Float valve is your best bet as mentioned...

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
Buzz I email'd you about clams

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
I just clicked the e-mail button on your post ..

·
1,262 Posts
Whoops, just got it... I did a search and found it...

No, I don't supply clams.. I'm just a big fan of them. You may want to try Lise at Underwater Creations. She's a sponsor here and should be able to hook you up.

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
Looking for advice I have a good sorce

1 - 16 of 16 Posts