The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm setting up a 50 gal. bow front tank. Want some easy corals and a few fish to go along with the 50 lbs of live rock and livea sand base. Currently I have only a cleaner shrimp and 5 snails in it.(remnents from my 20 gal disaster!)
I have a Rena Filstar xp cannister filter under the tank.
Can I put a skimmer under the tank plumbed thru the cannister filter. I have room to put a sump but don't want the problems associated with the hang-on overflows.
Also the LFS guys tell me the coral buls in the flourescent fixture will support simple coral growth.These are 3ft 30 watt elements hardly enough by what I've read, but they show me there setups which look good to me and thats all they use.
Anyway hope someone can advise me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you really don't want to deal with sump, I'd recommend a hang on back skimmer like the remora or remora pro (Aqua C is the company).

If you have several (3 or more tubes) your lights would work for some of the low light corals such as mushroom polyps, yellow colony polyps, and maybe a few others.

I would recommend compact flourescent or VHO for most soft corals and some hard corals such as lps, and t5 or metal halide depending on depth of tank for hard corals such as sps
HTH

Andrew

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I have a 30g tank (36*16*12) with NO florescents. I have several soft corals that are doing very well, growing/spreading/multiplying.
So its possible. However, with more lights I'm sure they'd probably be healthier. I think what partially helps my tank is that they are soft corals that like dirty water and my tank probably has higher nutrients then I'd want for stonies.
So I guess I'm saying IMO it is possible to have corals with NO but for more health and more variety I would go with PC or VHO. Depth of the tank will also play a role.
I am upgrading to a larger tank and going with more lighting so I'm anxious to compare the growth in both systems. Hope I won't be dissapointed!

Well I hope something in there will help. I'm just one person's experiences so don't take it as the rule.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts