The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just read a comment Tom made about stupid dumb mistakes and I thought it might be fun to see where we all have gaffed in the past..

I'll start... I actually bought a "SKILTER" from..:eek: Pet warehouse:eek: like 9 months ago.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well one of the most costly stupid mistakes I made was buying a "SC-400 filter system" that had bio-balls and a tiny skimmer attached to it and later was more suited for a FO tank and not a reef tank! Price Tag: $495.00

Ended up taking it to a LFS for a $75.00 store credit! Probably another stupid mistake but now it's gone and hopefully I have progressed to a point of making better decisions for my reef aquarium and for myself(speaking of wallet here ;) ).:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok My most retarded mistake was Salting My fish to death, when I first started up my first aquarium ( yearssssssssss ago) No one told me that only the water evaporates so when I did water changes I did it with salt water, well at the end My yellow tang was Emaceated( sp) and when I thought to do a Salt check it was off the charts............Yes I was dumb and I couldnt believe I did that.......so much so that I sold that tank 30 gal and said I would never keep fish again.............LOL well the next year I bought a 50 and it began, No recent dumb things tho. LOL Mistakes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Many years ago, while cleaning the inside glass of my 55 SW tank, I got lazy and decided to lean on the plastic bar in the middle that supports the sides. POP! :eek: :eek: :mad:

Fortunately, the seals did not break and only a little water escaped. In a rented town house that was not too cool about acquariums and water beds. I had one of each!

The middle of the tank was over 15 inches instead of its normal 13 inches. Ran to my tools and found a pipe clamp and quickly squezzed it back together. The next day I made a U bracked to keep it together.

I still have the same 55 and U bracket, but now it is my sump for the 120 and fuge. :)

Ross

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a SeaClone 150 and a Won Pro-Heat Titanium heater... :D

The Seaclone produced skimmate, but nothing compared to the new one I just built....

The Pro-Heat isn't too bad of a heater as long as you keep it away from EMI and use an external thermometer rather than trying to rely on it's dial setting.

Overall lackluster products, but they do an 'okay' job.

Other than those two gaffe's, I've done pretty well... probably because I found TRT early-on... in fact I started posting here right as I started buying stuff (after I ordered the skimmer and heater though).

TRT... it saves you money! :beer: :funny:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cleaning an old glass tank with one of those Kitchen plastic scrubbing pads. Then I forgot to complete rinse the "cleaned" tank.

I then added sand to the tank, dripped in the saltwater so the tank wouldn't be a milk shake and then went to go pick up the live rock. Came back 2 hour later and the tank smell like desinfecant and was cloudly.:eek:

Wasted two bags of sand and 40 gallons of saltwater, had to drive back home and mix another 10 gallons of saltwater to store the live rocks. Spent the rest of the night rinsing the tank clean.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Jimmer said:

I'll start... I actually bought a "SKILTER" from..:eek: Pet warehouse:eek: like 9 months ago.
I bought 2 Skilters and a seaclone for my first two tanks!:rolleyes: I could list more, but my list is too long.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Bought a skilter, never upgraded from the seaClone skimmer that came with my tank. I also have the unique ability to put my fingers in the line of my Eels mouth.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
well my first *saltwater* tank was made using.....mortons...

i had no clue about saltwater, jsut knew i wanted one. so i went and bought a LOT of mortons at the grocery store. and jsut started pouring it into an existing fw tank (after removing fish of course) didn't know there was a set amount of salt to use. so, i jsut poured and mixed until it tasted like the ocean, since i used ot live in florida :)

bought about 4 fish the next day, all were dead within hours.

i figured, yep saltwater is harder than fw. drained the tank, refilled with fw, and put my fw fish back in...

course, there was also that time that mike had me massageing snails, but i'm trying to forget about that one :D

·
Registered
808 Posts
our stupid goof! or maybe just accidental.

letting our 4 year old son know where the food was for our tank.

1 week after transferrring everything from one tank to the next and adding new corals our son dumped 1 quart of freeze dried brine flakes to a 29 gallon.

you can picture the rest.

·
Super Moderator
27,677 Posts
ACCCKKKK! the picture that comes to mind :funny:

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Let's see...I haven't had many equipment blunders, although my return pump is a whimpy piece of you-know-what. Oh, and there was the time I slipped off the step stool and broke the connections on my MH ballast....and when I just recently broke the uplift tube to my skimmer....and couldn't get my return pump hooked back up and Doug witnessed a demonstration of the fact that I can cuss like a sailor. Hmmm...maybe I need to rephrase that opening sentence. LOL

Once when I was working on a big tank in a vet's office I forgot to put the hood down before testing the return pump..and the return plumbing just happened to be pvc pipe attached to the hood. I got a SW shower in front of about 10 people and their pets! ;)

The one that really hurt, and still does, is that I killed a Powder Blue Tang when treating it for ich with formalin because I didn't read the directions well enough. :( You have to really keep the water oxygenated and all I was using was a bubbler. Sigh. RIP "Spot" the PBT.

Alice

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
hmmmmm, most recent blunder.... two days ago I my wife came up stairs to see what I was doing(no dirty thoughts please, just hanging with my puppy Noodle). The dog followed her down stairs and so did I. As soon as I hit the bottom of the stairs I knew something was wrong, on of my tanks sounded wrong, the water noise was too loud. I quickly checked the 90 and everything was good so I went to the 58. It was a waterfall off the back of the tank. I frantically started switching off power and opening the drain ball valve(I keep it partially shut to stop girgle). In the end I only lost a gallon or so of water and fried my ballast.

So what is the the stupid part? I have no clear idea what caused the overflow. I have a single durso stand pipe that has worked perfectly for a year. I have kept the ball valve part closed for over two years. I was in such a mad rush to stop the flood I did not keep track of exactly what stopped the backup. So now I am left wondering what the cause was and if it will happen again.

I think I am going to try to put some eggcrate over the stand pipe intake and fully open the valve once a week to make sure nothing is building up or sneeking into the pipe.

Seems like the most unexpected things cost me the most money.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Seems like the most unexpected things cost me the most money.
Michael, I think you just came up with MasterCard's new slogan! ;)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Two words:

RIO pumps

although the 6 food tall skimmer was a close second, uhhh, then there is the bioball tower...

ooppsss, forgot about the seagrass estuary beds in the kiddie pools...

Then there was the time my brother and I decided to spray the back of the 180 in the livingroom while it was raining outside (cleaned up blue dust for about 3 weeks after that...)

There was the time I killed a big patch of bermuda grass when I poured the water change brines into the yard...

and leaving the water maker on for 3 days while I was moving...

...uhhh... then there was the miricle mud remote sump thingy...

... then I let a "buddy" put a specimen directly in my prop system without doing the quarantine routine (flatworms)...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts