The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently using (2) stream 6100's and a multicontroller on a 125 reef system. These pumps work awesome, but their bulky size and positioning are not ideal for my tank size......in my opinion.

How are the Vortech propellor heads in comparison?

What is the going rate for (2) streams and the microcontroller in super condition?

Thanks.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
The Vortechs are overall smaller, but they do not allow directional adjustment and they are noisier than the Tunzes. I like my 6060's but I do wish that they were smaller.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Well said Tony,.. Not having directional control is a large drawback with the Vortecs, but I love how small they are in the aquariam,.. I also love that they keep most of the heat out of the tank.

Another neat feature is the battery backup device they have that can run them for quite a while in the event of a power outage.

But when I was in the position to make the choice I ended up going with the Tunze so that I could point the water where I needed it.

Whiskey

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have one vortech in a 75 and don't feel the need for adjusting direction. The flow is so wide and random, I see corals moving no matter where they are in the tank. I have mine set on reefcrest mode at the highest speed. I thought I'd need to put some MJ's along the back but the vortech seems to be pulling all the crud in the tank to the front corner under where it's mounted where I can easily siphon it out. I have a micro-bubble problem due to a sump thing I'm working on, so I can actually see the flow happening. :(

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a gen 2 MP 40, and I have found that it produces flow extremely wide and is not in need of any direction tuning.

On a side note when using multiple pumps utilizing the sync and anti sync features the pumps really show their capabilities, and I think it is this option that sets them aprart from the Tunze.

I also think 1 Vortech can provide enough flow for a much larger tank than any stream. I have seen good 120gallon sps tanks with 1 mp40

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Vortechs do not have directional flow because it is really not needed. Any directional pumps/controllers out there capable of recreating this kind of flow?

http://vimeo.com/2214844

I've posted this before in response to some other posts (can't help it, I love this video). For those not familiar with Vortechs, the flashing led corresponds with the pump cycling on and off. Here is some product info copied from Ecotechs website. P.S. I don't work for Ecotech, I'm just really happy with my Vortechs.

Feed Mode - Slows down your pump for 10 minutes to allow you to feed your aquarium.
Constant Speed Mode - The pump runs at a constant speed you set based on your aquarium’s specific needs.
Reef Crest Mode - Automatically simulates the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment.
Lagoon Mode - Automatically simulates a calmer, lagoon reef environment.
Short Pulse Mode - Allows for wave pulse timings between 0.3 and two seconds, enabling the creation of FAST alternating flow throughout the tank.
Long Pulse Mode - Allows for wave pulse timings of between two seconds and 60 seconds, enabling the creation of slow alternating flow throughout the tank.
Night Mode - Enables the pump to operate for 14 hours in whichever mode is selected for the day and go back to Night Mode for 10 hours. Master pumps will tell their slaves to go into Night Mode as well.
Pump Disconnect - Automatically shuts down the system if the wet and dry sides become separated.
Wireless Wave Driver - Enables wireless coordination between multiple MP40w units right out of the box, with no extra equipment to buy - making it the most cost-effective solution on the market.
Sync and Anti-Sync Slave Modes - In a multi-pump setup, slave pumps will operate in sync or inverse (anti-sync) to the master pump to create tidal currents within your aquarium.
Flow

The VorTech produces from 1,000 to 3,200 gallons per hour of low velocity gentle water current. The flow is so impressive and broad, that it actually creates an undertow along your sand bed. You will notice an equal amount of flow going out of your pump as you will see going back into it! Moreover, because the flow pattern is so wide, there is no reason to direction the flow, simply place the pump on the back or sides of your aquarium and flow will be created throughout the whole tank.
Energy Savings

The VorTech is one of the most efficient pumps on the market, and the new MP40W model is even more so, consuming only 28 watts to produce 3,200 gallons per hour. More importantly, all of the heat put out from the motor is outside of your aquarium, meaning you won’t have to invest in costly chillers to keep your tank cool.
Battery Backup Accessory

The VorTech Battery Backup will power one pump for up to 30 hours or two pumps for 15 hours each. Alternatively, multiple battery backups can be plugged into each other to provide even more run time during a power outage. There is no other product that detects an outage and provides as much insurance for so little money.
Wave Motion

Every MP40W model VorTech pump is wave controllable right out of the box! With our new Wireless Wave Driver, the VorTech pump can act autonomously to create waves in your aquarium, or can be synched with other pumps in the tank to create random and pulsing movements. When any one pump is entered into feed mode, the pump will signal all other VorTech pumps to shut down, eliminating the time required for you to turn off each pump individually. No other pump on the market can even compare to the intelligence of the VorTech pump.
Specifications

Flow: 1,000-3,200 gallons per hour
Power Consumption: 9-28 watts
Maximum Motor Temperature: 50-60 degrees Celsius
Aquarium Wall Thickness Range: 3/16”-3/4”
Appropriate Tank Size Range: 20-500+ gallons
Dimensions: Wet Side- 3” diameter by 2.25” long, Dry Side- 3” diameter by 2.25” long
Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 3”

·
Jumbo Shrimp
147 Posts
The Vortechs are overall smaller, but they do not allow directional adjustment and they are noisier than the Tunzes.
How much louder are they? Anybody who has a Vortech want to comment on noise? After reading this and watching the video, I'm seriously considering getting one but my DT is basically silent with the sump down in the basement, and I'd hate to ruin the peace and quiet.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
jardinop hit what I was going to type this morning on the head. Ultimately it isn't a big deal so long as the aquascape permits it to some degree. The fact is you are moving water all around the pump as well as through it. I run a single one on a 190 with 1 (the other died two nights ago) korila and have nice, random flow through the whole tank. Now if I changed my scape around to where the votec was plowing a certain coral or rock face, then the directionability would come in handy

And I can't hear my vortec unless my ear is right next to it...;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
They are not noisy in my opinion, but on high settings they do kind of "hum"

The hum is not audible over a quite conversation, and my tank is in a cinderblock room with tile floor so any noise is immediatly notable.

I would say if you have a noisy VorTech then you either have it misaligned or just have a bad one and ecomarine will correct the problem by sending you a new one.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
i have a pair of stream 2's (6105) on my 187 and they rock! totally aimable if you will, but one wouldve moved the whole tank. the new usb flash controller comes out soon and i can't wait. also battery backupable from a lantern battery. i am planning on adding a wavebox just to improve the randomness and the surge. if you only want one pump in a system the wavebox is it. the vortech's can't be trusted imo, tunze .... they are unbreakable ;) not really, but u hear far less of them having probs esp. when it comes to noise. also i hav .75" acrylic and did not trust the vortech through it. stream II was well worth my wait. i think u can get them now, but i waited 4 months.

o yeah they look smooth now much smaller.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Tunze was having issues as well. It really is a battle of customer service IMO. I have to admit that I was impressed with tunze coming out with the USB controller and the battery back up.. But rght now I love my vortec and will probably get a second one down the road.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Vortechs do not have directional flow because it is really not needed. Any directional pumps/controllers out there capable of recreating this kind of flow?

http://vimeo.com/2214844

I've posted this before in response to some other posts (can't help it, I love this video). For those not familiar with Vortechs, the flashing led corresponds with the pump cycling on and off. Here is some product info copied from Ecotechs website. P.S. I don't work for Ecotech, I'm just really happy with my Vortechs.
I tried this when I first got mine. It was very easy to do, but I quicky turned it off because I didn't trust my stand that I got second hand. In that video you can definately see the tank wobble near the end. My old stand was an MDF stand that definately had been exposed to water where it shouldn't have but it was free.

I like the reefcrest mode personally. Even with it mounted on one side of the tank just in front of my rockscape, I can see a whole lot of water movement going back to the pump from the opposite side of the tank. I keep the LPS at the far end where water movement isn't needed as much but they are still swaying gently. I have mine one third of the way to the back of the tank, and one third down from the top. I wouldn't want to have it aimed directy at a coral on it's current setting. I think on a lower setting with a different mode (lagoon or long pulse) it would be fine though as long as it's about a foot or so away.

If I have time tomorrow when I get home from work, I'll try to take a short video of the flow and post it. With the microbubble problem I'm having, hopefully it'll show on the video. I won't be able to post it until late tomorrow though due to family time :).

As far as the noise, I don't hear mine over the overflow and skimmer. If all of your equipment is in the basement and you have a silent overflow, you may hear a hum when the pump is running at full speed. If there's a rattle, it needs to be aligned. However, my tank is in an unused living room and sounds like a Zen waterfall. I can put up with it so long as it doesn't sound like a toilet flushing like an old FW cichlid tank I had.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I run mine in Reefcrest also. I keep them both in sync so the speeds go up and down together with the pumps on the opposite sides of the tank. There is a more noticeable change from high to low flow when both pumps are running at the same speeds. I used to run them anti-sync but found that it just made the flow more even across the tank.

The only noise I really notice is when the speed is changing rapidly. There are points in the Reefcrest program where the speed goes up and down quickly a few times in a row and I can hear the difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts