The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20gal reef that has been setup for approx. two months. I have developed a green algae that is not like the others I have seen before. It is flat against the glass and starts off as green circles. It grows very rapidly and doesn't seem to get completely consumed by my snails. It is very hard to remove from the glass. I have had to use a old credit card to scrap it off. Please can anyone tell me what it is and what to do about it. Also my girlfriend has developed hair algae in her tank and she can't seem to get rid of it. All of her levels are fine, lighting is ok, yet it grows constantly. It's a daily project to get rid of the stuff. Any ideas on what causes this and how to get rid of it for good.
:eek:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
As for your algae --- could it be a green coraline --- it not only comes in purple and blue but also many different shades of green.

I do have a really good alfgae book so if you can get a picture posted I could probably identify it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Green, Purple, Blue or any shade of them.

In circles flat against the glass. Fairly hard and not easily scrapped off.

SOunds like Coraline to me. Usually grows on glass first.

If you want it to spread more --- take a razor blade and scrape the glass and let the scrappings get naturally dispersed throughout the tank. Sort of a self seeding operation.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Definatly a green coraline algae from what I see on this thread. Very much a pain to scrape sometimes. Typically I always see coraline algae grow on everything except for the rocks in a new tank and eventually the rocks will catch up in a big way.

Ray

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have green, purple, light purple and maroon coraline algae. its growing on my rocks, tank, overflow and sandbed and corals. but my tank isnt a nano. its a 46g bowfront. i'll be starting a nano very soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.