The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
reef addict
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this afternoon as i was performing tank maintenance i noticed my emerald crab wasnt moving so i nudged him with my barbecue skewer i use to target feed and he didnt move, he was dead. I removed him from the tank only to find 3 of his legs were missing! Something has definately had a nibble at him......but what? the only things in my tank that could have done this to him are- an orange debelius reef lobster and an elcetric blue hermit crab-both fully grown. I target feed both every other day, and i did target feed the emerald every couple of days, feed all with shrimp. i also have a cleaner shrimp but that didnt and probably couldnt do it. Anyone know whats going on here???

·
reef addict
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey, after carefull examination of the crab, my analysis is: hes dead. its definately him, no molt. Now the question is 'what killed him'?, my parameters are great, all other inverts doing great, my cleaner shrimp just molted- just a mystery. As i said before- something's had a nibble at him cause of his 3 legs missing but i really doubt it was the debelius reef lobster as he hasnt harmed anything and ive had him for over a year now hes soooo docile. So im leaning towards the electric blue hermit, hes fully grown, bigger than the mithrax with bigger claws. anyway i guess we'll never know. thanks for your replies :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts