The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how much of this storm is getting you guys but man its crazy here. Power goes on then it goes off. Never more than a few minutes but it's got me in panic mode. I have got to look into ways to keep my tanks going during outages. I eventually would like to get a generator (Winter here is bad)If it ices we lose power for days(Wish I had Ga Power). In the mean time what's the best thing to do to keep the tanks running?

·
Registered
573 Posts
use battery powered air stones and you can look into getting a ups thing. They dont last forever, but you can keep the most important things running. I have also heard you can buy a converter and use a car battery to run your tank, something to look into i guess.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to check into the battery and converter. I would like to keep the lights, heat, and filtration going. Definately got to get a generator! The last bad Ice storm we got I drained all the water, bagged the coral, and took the tank to my moms. I almost didn't get it back and ended up setting up her tank. That wont work with 3 salt tanks and a 90 that is in the works.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wish had gotten that storm. 10 minutes of rain.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Pillz said:
use battery powered air stones and you can look into getting a ups thing. They dont last forever, but you can keep the most important things running. I have also heard you can buy a converter and use a car battery to run your tank, something to look into i guess.
Actually that would be an "inverter" and a car battery.... depending on what you would hook up to it, most of the time it would only give you maybe 2-3hours. That and you'd still have to turn it on manually.

A generator is really your best option.... You can do it for a reasonable amount of money, it just seems like alot to spend on something that you "might" need. But at the same time, if youre in an area where power loss is common, it would be well worth the cash! ...just think of how much is invested in your display(s)

·
Registered
557 Posts
brandsmart has a decent generator option for the price, already has an electric battery start, so making it auto on is a sinch, problem is you don't want it on when the power returns. , with that generator, and a ups you can set up an auto power backup plan. has 3500 watts constant and 7000 surge if not mistaken.
Just make sure the ups you get has a 12v battery supply.

·
Registered
723 Posts
We lost power here in Macon for a few minutes and I started to panic until I remembered that my tank isn't even set up yet...

·
Registered
274 Posts
glad i didnt experience that storm, cause i was on my way back from ohio this morning and man am i tired, since we drove up and back, and sure did have lots of fun, and wasnt even sure if they had fish stores in warren ohio, didnt know of any there

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well power was never out long but it rumbled and poured till early this morning. Cleared up nice tho and went to the lfs.

·
Registered
338 Posts
:banana: Man, I wish I could see rain. I am in Iraq and it was 130 + this afternoon. I am glad I have someone taking care of my tank.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Or Snow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts