The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in Nano Reefs originally but realized this is more suited for general.

I have been mixing my WC water for my 10g nano in a standard 5 gallon plastic bucket. I mix 3 gallons but only use a gallon at a time (I do regular frequent WCs every week). After I use the water I'm going to for the WC I seal the bucket up with it's lid and store it. After a few days though I've noticed the water will smell pretty bad (I'm guessing a combination of the saltwater and the plastic bucket). Is this normal? Is the water OK? How long can saltwater be sealed up and stored in a bucket after it's mixed? I heat it up to 76F and stir it up real good to aerate it before I do the WC. It doesn't readily appear that any of my tank inhabitants really care. I'm using RO water and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for the mix FYI. Any advice? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Posted in Nano Reefs originally but realized this is more suited for general.

I have been mixing my WC water for my 10g nano in a standard 5 gallon plastic bucket. I mix 3 gallons but only use a gallon at a time (I do regular frequent WCs every week). After I use the water I'm going to for the WC I seal the bucket up with it's lid and store it. After a few days though I've noticed the water will smell pretty bad (I'm guessing a combination of the saltwater and the plastic bucket). Is this normal? Is the water OK? How long can saltwater be sealed up and stored in a bucket after it's mixed? I heat it up to 76F and stir it up real good to aerate it before I do the WC. It doesn't readily appear that any of my tank inhabitants really care. I'm using RO water and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for the mix FYI. Any advice? Thanks!
Short of sterilizing the solution and container prior to closing, not much to do. Otherwise, just so that the water is in equilibrium with the tmosphere, I think (totally speculaive here, no real data to support this opinion) that it would be better to leave it open and top it off for evaporative losses prior to use, heating to tank temp, etc. as you already listed. This would prevent O2 depletion by bacteria as well as prevent CO2 acumulation by the same. This would prevent some of the issues you seem to be having.

JMO

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, thanks very much for the input!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perhaps loosely fit the lid and put an airstone in there. It'll help with O2 saturation and stop the water becoming stagnant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts