The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 20 gallon reef set up for approx 6 months. I put a mandarin in there a few weeks ago and I don't ever see it picking at the rocks or anything. The fish looks much thinner now than when I bought it. Does anyone have any food suggestions, I don't want to lose this fish.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
sadley most mandarines will only eat copepods. Very few will take any prepared food. Thats why most people say that you have to have at least 120 lbs of live rock and for the tank to be pretty old (at least 1 year) and stable. Sorry, i know this is not what you want to hear but it is the truth. Try and find a home for him, or at least see if the lfs will take him back.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
You can buy pods in a bottle but that gets VERY expensive. Your best bet honestly is to return it to the fish store and let someone else who has the capabilites to feed it have it. That would be the responsible thing to do.

·
Registered
874 Posts
you can always test to see of the fish will eat frozen food, like brine shrimp or mysis shrimp. Thaw them out and get a turkey baster or something of that nature and dispense some food near him, if he eats thats good, but you'll most likely have to spot feed him all the time, mandarins arent too fast at eating, least mine isnt. If this doesnt work, you'll have to sell him off or see if the fs will take him back.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The tank is way to small and way to young to feed a mandarin. Take it back to the store or get it to someone who has what it needs soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, I've got over 160lbs of LR and I'm still worried that the pods won't reproduce fast enough so I weened the little guy into eating frozen mysis. He knows where food comes now and doesn't even get scared when I put the syringe right up to him. Pretty cool.

I've got the short fin one..I believe it's a female. Planning to get a long fin soon. I feel very confident mine will do well. Good luck with yours. Try frozen mysis.

·
Registered
630 Posts
What type of mandarin is it and do you want to sell it? I am looking for a target spot type or a female of the normal psychedelic type. I have 200 gallons total capacity and a 40 gallon fuge....Don't let it die in your tank....

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have seen it posted elsewhere that brine shrimp are like potato chips so they my not be a good replacement to pods nutrition wise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimbeau
If you're up to coming to get it, make me an offer. I am not too sure on how to catch this guy without taking my tank apart. Like I said in the initial post, I don't see it eat so I'm not too sure about a surprise attack just after feeding. I am off of exit 41 on I-85.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
akula said:
I have seen it posted elsewhere that brine shrimp are like potato chips so they my not be a good replacement to pods nutrition wise.
:agree: , especially if they're frozen!

Live brine shrimp soaked in zoe or some other vitamin supplement will help, but mysis are better.

Bob

·
Registered
351 Posts
wait till night time and see where he sleeps. if he goes all pale he is asleep and if your fast with a net or cup you can get him. thats how i got mine back in the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts