The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built two pipes for my external overflow, but the coupling with the reduction fitings sit at the bottom of the overflow box when running, I've tried lifting them but when I let go they drop right down. Do I have to glue the reduction fitting to the pipe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am feeling a bit dense at the moment because i am having a hard time visualizing it. Do you have a pic?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reduction fitting and coupling sit at the bottom of the box and will not float up even if I hold them for a few seconds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems to me that the reducing coupling should fit the PVC pipe fairly snug. I would think you could just slide it where you wanted it and that would be that. You may have to end up glueing it.

Where on the pipe did you place the holes for the water to drain through?

I don't know if you have ever checked out this link before but you might find something here that will help.

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the quick reply. i fixed it by wrapping some zip ties around the pipe to suspend the coupling. thanks again.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
that's really odd. when i built my stockman, the reducer bushing was very very snug getting it onto the pipe. i actually had to tap it with a hammer to get enough pip through the top to have a cap on it.

soundsl ike your method with the zip tie is working. if it fails, then i would jsut add a bit of glue.

it sounds as though your reducer bushing is a slight bit oversized.

also, i dont see any holes in your pipe where the coupler will cover them up top? are they jsut not cut/drilled yet?

fwiw on mine i had to drill several holes, then connect them with cuts from a circularsaw. i know most poeple have had much luck cutting a large sqaure hole, rather than several small holes.

my website link in my signature hasa photos of the way i cut mine. the square hole version can be found on the durso website as well.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
here is mine. looks like an upside down version of yours. my pipe also fit snugly into the drain pipe. yours is a very interesting design, care to describe how it works?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
krux,
It now looks just like yours, I had made the mistake of taking too much material from the reducer so it was sliding straight down the pipe instead of staying above the water line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts