The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellooo :)

Nice to meet you all, this is my first post.
So, recently (a week ago), after some consideration, I have bought the equipment I need to convert my 30g Fluval Roma into a saltwater aquarium. Decided to take the plunge after years and years of freshwater. I was wondering what you all think of the possible fish I have on my shortlist? And which ones you would keep, bearing in mind, I am very new to the saltwater side of things, but have kept tropical for 6 years now.

Here are my ideas:
*Ocellaris Clowns (Aware these must be in pairs)
*Bangaii Cardinal
*Lawnmower Blenny
*Firefish Goby
*Royal Gramma

Would really appreciate the help :)

-ICantReef

(Also, should this be FOWLR, or corals, I am quite keen for a reef :D )

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
That looks like a solid list to me, but I'm not an as big of an expert as most on here(I'm still pretty new). The only thing that I would question, and someone else will need to chime is... Will the tank have enough stuff for the Blenny to pick at to survive?

There's also no reason you can't do a reef tank in a 30g.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing that I would question, and someone else will need to chime is... Will the tank have enough stuff for the Blenny to pick at to survive?.
I think so, this tank somehow manages to accumulate huge amounts of algae, and I mean absolutely ridiculous amounts (Bulbs replaced, buying a timer - Young children leave lights on- and phosphate added so hopefully that helps), at least in fresh water set up. Saying all my preventative measures out loud makes me now question if I do in fact have enough algae. Would you recommend something different? Mainly for detritus, but algae too :)

-ICantReef

·
Registered
634 Posts
You really shouldn't be producing that much algae, if you are that would imply that you are using poor water or something is leaking phosphates in to your water. You can supplement them with some algae pellets and stuff, but I know they eat a ton

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You really shouldn't be producing that much algae, if you are that would imply that you are using poor water or something is leaking phosphates in to your water. You can supplement them with some algae pellets and stuff, but I know they eat a ton
Hm, I think it was a combination of bad bulbs, and my kid brother leaving the light on, along with pretty alkaline water. For this set up I am using RO/DI though.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

Clowns don't have to be in pairs, but I think they're more active if they are. I wouldn't put the lawnmower and the firefish in the same tank, because of them both having an elongated body shape it's possible the blenny would pick on the firefish. If the clowns and the lawnmower (again, these guys will starve if you don't have enough algae - you might want to consider a smaller blenny like a tailspot or twospot) then I'd pick either the cardinal or the gramma to go with those three.

What kind of lighting do you have? Freshwater lighting promotes plant growth, including algae. You'll want to switch to a saltwater appropriate light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of lighting do you have? Freshwater lighting promotes plant growth, including algae. You'll want to switch to a saltwater appropriate light.
Yep, Already have. :)
Thank you for the stocking suggestions though, I appreciate it!

-ICantReef

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Welcome and have fun.

Did you say you add phosphate to the tank?
Phosphate is something very rarely dosed and then only usually in conjunction with carbon dosing if the phosphate level is too low in relation to the Nitrate level.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Those are all the fish I started my tank with! Love them all, good list. Make sure you have a completely covered tank for the blenny. We lost one to jumping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts