The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fishy Down Under
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So purchased the last lot of rock today so in the mean time i thought ill give myself some time to put together a list of the fish me & my dad want in this 180G tank.

Right now i had 2 tomato clowns, a starry blenny & a marine betta in my current tank which will get moved over.

So thoughts were:

Starry Blenny
Tomato Clown Pair
Marine Betta
3-5 Black & White Chromis'
Aussie Harlequin Tusk
Purple Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Magnificent Foxface

Only thing i'm worried somewhat about is the two tangs, i know the purple can be more aggressive but my dad really loves them since we saw some really beautiful ones at our lfs so purple would be defiantly going in but will the two tangs be okay in a 180? Also is this too many fish, there will be plenty of caves and hiding spots?

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

·
Administrator
20,510 Posts
Hi peterp, yea, this is the fun part.....dreaming of what to get. Have fun with it! But I'm thinking having 2 tangs together in your' 180 may be asking for trouble, especialy for the powder brown.http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+367&pcatid=367. Seems he could be bullied pretty easy. And I think with the other fish you have on your' list you're going to have a pretty full tank on your hands. Go slow adding them, and keep your eyes on them, and give your new tank plenty of time between additions to keep up with the load. Wishing you and your' dad all the best,
Dave

·
Fishy Down Under
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave, I thought it might be but thought I would ask instead. I would of loved an Achilles instead of the purple but they are so much rarer and pricier down here. I plan on adding the purple tang last to the tank and give atleast a month in between each fish addition.

Speaking of bio load this leads me to my next question, when adding the chromis' I've read its best to add them all at once but that would upset my bioload adding 3-5 fish at the same time... ahhh conflicts

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,349 Posts
Speaking of bio load this leads me to my next question, when adding the chromis' I've read its best to add them all at once but that would upset my bioload adding 3-5 fish at the same time... ahhh conflicts
you need to add them all at once... this means you need to have the tank running for a few months and give it extra time between the previous addition and the chromis, then again extra time after adding the chromis in which I'd also test your water just to make sure they don't kick off a mini cycle. I think a lot of the aggression issues people see with chromis may be relative to not being added at the same time. I added 3 to my 40B all at once and they had no effect on the tank... and I've had no blood battles...

·
Fishy Down Under
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you need to add them all at once... this means you need to have the tank running for a few months and give it extra time between the previous addition and the chromis, then again extra time after adding the chromis in which I'd also test your water just to make sure they don't kick off a mini cycle. I think a lot of the aggression issues people see with chromis may be relative to not being added at the same time. I added 3 to my 40B all at once and they had no effect on the tank... and I've had no blood battles...
Well that answers my question, thanks!

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,349 Posts
as for the tangs... personally I think it could be done in a 180, but again I'd add them at the same time. I've been reading on what I could do with my 240 and plan on doing a yellow, powder blue, and blue regal and they will all go in together just to limit aggression.

My LFS usually has two of the three together in their little tanks, so my plan is if I buy them from the LFS that I'll get the two that are together + the one from another tank and put them in at the same time... either that or I'll order all 3 from LA at the same time.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
I'm not sure a marine betta would be a good fit here. They don't swim well so won't like the high flow your tangs will need. Also they like lots of rocks and caves while your tangs will need more open swimming space. They are hard to get to eat and once they do they are still very slow eaters, so it would take a lot of time and work to make sure he got to eat among all those more active, aggressive eaters.

·
Fishy Down Under
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A typical CUC yes, I would need a bigger crew like strombus or turbo snails as well as other stars, currently have a large green brittle

I understand your concern Chi but I've had this betta for about 3-4 months now and I've never had a problem with him eating. If anything my clowns are more scared of him then he is of them right now and the tank is 6x2x2 so open areas and hiding spots is quite doable

forgot to mention, i always see my betta out in the open, my current tank does have plenty of hiding spots, when i first got him he hid for about a week but now i barely see him hide at all.

·
Fishy Down Under
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
On the 2 tangs subject...I had a whitecheek and a yellow in my 125 before upgrading no issues at all and a powder brown is pretty much the same as a whitecheek and a yellow and purple are similar...I would def do it and not think twice about it

Stewie

·
Fishy Down Under
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the 2 tangs subject...I had a whitecheek and a yellow in my 125 before upgrading no issues at all and a powder brown is pretty much the same as a whitecheek and a yellow and purple are similar...I would def do it and not think twice about it

Stewie
Did you add both tangs at the same time to the tank? I really would like to have both tangs in the long run.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.