The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not stocking my tank with fish yet but wondering if 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons fair? I read that in the Palletta book. That would be 45 adult fish inches in a 90 gallon tank.
Let me know. I tried to look at other forums but did not know which one to look at.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
yea and also girth needs to be taken into account i got 2 fish in my 90, about 14 inchs total and i have a rough time keeping it clean thats about and inch per 6 gal!

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Also keep in mind that when dealing with a reef tank, the more fish you have can effect your water quality which can cause unwanted algae issues and detriment to corals so ratio is for me is generally much less. Swimming behavior, compatablity with your other fish, feeding habits ( some need feed more often like many anthias ) also have to be accouted for.

In general for a 90g it typically translates to about 5-6 fish max for me ( includes only 1 tang or rabbitfish the rest medium/small fish ).

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
This is not a good subject for me to touch on as I am overstocked. :)
2 tangs and a rabbitfish UGH (in a 150 though) My skimmer can definately keep up and the big fish all get along so it works out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So, how does this sound for my 75g with 20gallon(1/2 full) so roughly 85gallons total water volume. I have 1 blue eyed Kole tang (4-5"), 2 false percs (2-3" each), 1 diamond watchman goby (3-4"), 1 mandarin (3"). I would like to add a few more fish such as a small rabbitfish to help with my bubble algea problem (knowing that he would eventually have to be moved out) a couple of neon gobies 1 or 2 and maybe 1 or 2 firefish, 3 curious wormfish, and 6 black bar chromis's. I know I cant keep all of them but just wondering what combo might work best.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
If it was my tank I would do it. They have some nice small vigrates at OD right now for like 40 or 50 bucks sweet fish and they will definately do what you want them to do. Can you pst a pic of your Blue Eye Kole? I used to have one and miss him. LOL he was a sweet fish with great personality

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
You got a good skimmer though ? I guess that is key with a few fish.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Josh, I really like firefish but unless you have every square centimeter covered, they easily get spooked and jump. Those are probably the first to go from the list. I personally don't count sump space while it does help with filtration, it doesn't do anything for swimming room or territorial fish habbits. Neon gobies if it's the fish i'm thinking of, typically live in colder waters than we can supply thus don't live long. You might get by with the chromis. Typically though it is recommended to do odd numbers so I would go with 5 vs. 7. Rabbitfish are great maintenance fish. Even if I had to get rid of it at some point, I would do it. I'd put a rabbitfish up against 90% of the tangs out there as far as a good maintenance fish.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
are all rabbitfish equal cleaner?? ie foxface, fiji, magnificant or is one better then the others?? i got some bubble alge i would like to get rid of also

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
As with any fish there are no guarantees and murphy's law will be that if you get one for a specific reason it won't eat it. The Virgate and other similiar Rabbits with that same body shape, I have had the best success with as a maintenance fish. Yet, others have said foxface do good to. It's just my experience has been not as good with the foxface body shape type.

·
Registered
239 Posts
No, my top is completely open, which is why wrasses are out (sad bummer) and I guess that would mean the firefish as well. The rabbitfish will probably be forsure. Smeese what is the name of the rabbitfish you mentioned (scientific or common) so I can try to look it up for more info. I have G3 skimmer, so I think I could slightly overstock the tank but not by too much as I do plan on keeping some SPS. Maybe a dwarf angel?

·
Registered
239 Posts
O.K. its a Virgate Rabbitfish, I checked them out at Vivid Aquariums, beautiful fish and only $20.00 for 1 1/2-2" which is a perfect size. I will look locally first.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Of the LFS I visit regularly $40-50 is about the norm. OD most always have several to choose from. I believe SF had several as well last week when I was there.

Typically, they are hardy eaters and will eat frozen brine or mysis readily. I would like to see it eat frozen first before buying. While mine worked out just fine, it took about a month of feeding several different types of seaweed before it figured it out. It worked out in the end but if given the choice nice not to deal with it. Also, very unlikely that you will have enough algae in the tank to keep fat and happy without supplementing. Some grow macro algae, I choose to use dried seaweed and typically pick up as many different types brown, green, red, purple and round robin for a varied diet.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Josh- Neon gobies max out at about 1 1/2" to 2". The come from Atlantic waters(carribean to Florida) and a very handy fish to have. They set up cleaning stations and will clean your fish if the fish allow. They will also eat any aquarium fare... Get at least a couple. They are short lived but breed like rabbits. you probably won't see any babies but they will feed your corals.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Allright here is what I am thinking, 1 small virgate rabbitfish (keep it for a few years then trade it for a new smaller one), 1 flame Angel fish, and a couple of neon gobies.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Just about any dwarf angel is a gamble and may start nipping. Typically I haven't had too much problem keeping well feed and in a more softy dominate tank but nothing is a guarantee and should have a good method ( ie: Fish trap ) available to get it out if becomes necessary.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts