The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g display with 30g refuge with 20 red mangrove trees. I have two ocellaris clowns one male mandarin dragonette scribbles (girlfriend named him) one very cool sexy shrimp and of course snails and blue legged hermits. i have just a couple of corals blue mushrooms, two head torch coral and water parameters perfect even with heavy feedings because im training my mandarin with decent sucsess but im not to concerned with that because i have 5 completely stocked pod condos that keep him well fed. adult size is not a major factor cause i am in the process of building a 200g with 65g sump and 30g mangrove refuge.(about 6 months to fish ready) some of these will go to a 54g hex that is cycling now. I want to add one maybe two more fish i like color and personality but i want to make sure scribbles doesent have to compete for food and noone picks on him because that is my girlfriends fish and she will kill me.lol so i thought about a dwarf angle not sure on which one. but any advice is appreciated and valued. safe and balanced yet visually attractive system is my goal.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Clowns,gobies, reef safe wrasses, butterflies, tangs,etc. Unless the fish is aggressive it will leave the mandarin alone. In a 200 I wouldn't worry about the mandarin starving unless you have tons of pod eating fish like wrasses. If you a really worried you could just put the mandarin in the refugium. And the coral beauty should leave the mandarin alone. Good luck!

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Personal suggestion would be to not get any fish based on what you plan to have in the future. I have been planning to upgrade to a 350g for a couple of years, but life keeps getting in the way. Had I bought fish for it with the assumption it would happen, I'd be in a whole lot of trouble today. Patience is key in this hobby. I also wouldn't recommend putting two tangs in a 55g tank (personally, I wouldn't recommend even 1 of many varieties, but that is a different discussion). They may be ok for a while, but as they grow, they will likely lead to problems.
I think you said you already started the 200g build, so likely much of an issue in your case, but for anyone reading this thread...Even in your situation, would waiting a few more weeks be a problem? What i f the 200g is set up only to realize it has a leak somewhere? Call me over cautious :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed about the tangs but planning is important in this hobby because the otherside of the spectrum is impulse buy which can be dangerous. I understand that buying fish for system that isnt setup isnt a good idea but mine is for the most part tank is built water is in it im still building lights and working on collecting rock cause lets face it rock is out of this world expensive. my number one priority is quality of life for livestock but thank you for your advice.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Agreed about the tangs but planning is important in this hobby because the otherside of the spectrum is impulse buy which can be dangerous. I understand that buying fish for system that isnt setup isnt a good idea but mine is for the most part tank is built water is in it im still building lights and working on collecting rock cause lets face it rock is out of this world expensive. my number one priority is quality of life for livestock but thank you for your advice.
We are on the same page. I wasn't saying to not plan ahead. I believe in planning everything you want in a tank, getting the right sized tank, building it, then start adding the fish in the right order based on your original plan. I have no issues if your build is already started and the tank is structurally sound, which sounds like the case in your situation. :beer:

I was stating more for others who may be following the post. I read a lot of posts with people getting fish they know are too small for their tank because they "plan" to upgrade. I have seen too many situations where the upgrade is delayed or doesn't happen and the same poster is now trying to figure out why they have an ich outbreak. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts