The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 15 BB I have a low PH (up to 7.80-7.90 now), to try and counter this I raised my ALK from 8 to 10 slowly over the last week or so. I am now having a couple of corals STN, I disconnected my Kalk Reactor to let it drop back to 8, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience?

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had problems using kalk in general with my BB system. I had a few minor STN occurrences while using it to supplement Ca++. When I stopped using it the affected corals stabilized. During this time I was maintaining my alk at 8 (dKH) with Na++ carbonate / bicarbonate at the same time I was dripping kalk. I assume you're more concerned about your alk being at 10 than you are about the use of kalk in BB systems in general? I currently maintain my alk between ~7-7.5 with Na++ carbonate / bicarbonate only. The pH ranges from 8.45 (day) to 8.39 (night). The water receives a lot of aeration. My corals tend to not look as good when my alk gets above ~8.5.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I think raising your alk from 8 to 10 was probably too big of a jump. Backing off of the kalk sounds like a good idea. IMHO using Na++ carbonate would be a better choice to raise and maintain your pH. It’s a better buffer than kalk.<o:p></o:p>

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mborn.

So you don't think Kalk is a good idea at all eh? I will have to look into Na++, as I am not sure what it is. The only other thing I have tried is baking soda (sodium bi-carbonate) and baked baking soda (sodium carbonate).

I have been using Kalk for some time on this system, it does a great job at maintaining Alk and CA where ever I put it. What surprised me is when I raised my Alk from 8.0 (were I usually kept it) to 10 dKH slowly using baked baking soda (sodium carbonate) I got some STN.

What I was wondering is if people with low nutrient BB tanks had problems with their tanks when they tried maintaining higher Alk levels.

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kalk worked well for me when I had a DSB system and also worked well for me in a DSB in combination with a calcium reactor. In these systems there was higher organic acid output so a strong base like kalk (calcium hydroxide) worked well. But when I went BB the demand for alk in my system dropped dramatically. IME kalk seemed to do more harm than good. There were just some acros that couldn't tolerate it and others weren’t affected at all. The best results I've gotten so far (as far as all corals being happy) in maintaining calcium and alk has been with calcium chloride and the sodium (Na++) carbonate compounds. The ones I use are sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate in combination. Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) has a lower pH than sodium carbonate (Na2CO3). I never use sodium carbonate alone because it's more reactive with calcium than bicarbonate and can precipitate your calcium. Using sodium carbonates may be just a short term solution if you have a continually high amount of CO2 in your water. You may need to increase aeration to solve the problem. Increased aeration is how I maintain higher pH levels without high alk.
ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
yes, I definitely had problems with my corals when maintaining a high alk level in my BB system. <O:p></O:p>

·
Registered
30 Posts
What I was wondering is if people with low nutrient BB tanks had problems with their tanks when they tried maintaining higher Alk levels.
I think this too. With more nutrients, you need the higher alk level to counteract the 'acids'. I read sometimes dkh can be maintained at 12 for dirtier tanks, and even Spanky saying something like, you need stronger lights to burn off what for dirtier tanks.

Once a tank goes low on nutrients, the alk drops, the lighting should come down too.

Whiskey, on the CO2, could you play with temp as a way to keep more O2 in the water?... or an O2 tank piped into your skimmer. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!*

Hello!

The good vibe for everybody.
Problems of health blogging me at home (for the moment) I take of come here, participate a little good grow has all !

Peace out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts