The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone;
I'm sure most of you know Ive been having a Nitrate problem on my 150 reef tank.
150 gallon
wet dry sump
coralife skimmer
aquaclear 110 with LR
not sure how much LR tank in 6ft long Lr goes from end to end and half way up.
2 inch LS
1 hippo tang 5 inches
1 yellow tang 4 inches
1 yellow watch man 3 inches
1 coral beauty 3-4 inches
1 cherub 2 inches
2 fairy wrass 3-4 inches each
2 fire fise 2-3 inches each
1 bullet goby 4 inches
1 cleaner wrass about 3 inches
I've taken the last of my bio balls out(sat)
I've bought a new skimmer(sat)
I've changed about 30 gallon of water (sat)
I turned of my Eheim wet dry.
I've reemoved all sponges
and my nitrates havent dropped a bit.
I'm I in too big of a hurry?
Should I have seen a drop by now?
What more can I do?
Patrick

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
It definitly sounds like your on the right path. be patient. Post a pic of the amount of LR you have. That is one thing that will determine nitrate levels.

What is the "aquaclear 110"?

What are your nitrates reading?

Is it a FOWLER tank?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for repsonding to my thread
the aquaclear is a hang on filter. I had active carbon and other media in it. After joining TRT and chatting with a few folks I relized that it, the bio balls and my ehiem wet dry all contributed to my Nitrate problem. So instead of taking it completly off I took out the media and put live rock in it.
I'm sorry but I dont have any pix of my tank. Everyone has been wanting pix but I've been soo busy with working on my tank I have had time to figure out the new cam and how to hook it up to the pc. The live rook I have is completly from end to end of my tank and about half way up. I have spaces between the rock but there's alot. I also have about 10lbs in my sump.
Patrick

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
How much and how often are you feeding?

I think with the new skimmer and having all bioballs and sponges out you sould see improvements soon.

I am thinking the Aquaclear 110 is a HOB filter, right? sounds like you are using it as a refugium if you have LR in it. Have you clean that? there may be some uneaten food in there. Anytime there is extra food in the tank settleling somewhere and rotting you may get Nitrates in there.
Have you notice your rock sheading stuff? this may also be giving you nitrates.
But the changes you did on Saturday will definatly help.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feed my fish mostly flake food. I feed every other day. The only thing I can think of is I do put lettuce in for my tangs and sometimes they pick at it but don't eat it. I place it in the tank about 3x a week. Maybe I should cut back on that?
Yeah the aqua clear is a hang on and I'm kinda using it as a ref but with no light just LR.
I have a refugium in the wet dry with plants pods LR LS and light.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Hi. Whereas you have remedied some possible sources of nitrate, I am pretty sure you are going to be waiting several weeks to see a drop in your nitrates. you may have removed some of the detritus and sources of nitrates but the actual nitrates are in your water now and will take your tank's live rock a good bit of time to process them. Generally the rule of thumb for the amount of live rock you need is 1-2 lbs per gallon. the lighter, more porous the live rock is, the better. be patient and test weekly and write down the results to see if it goes down over time.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Evens mommy
When I bought my LR I had a fish only tank and bought it a little along so I never kept track of how much I was buying. I will try to be a little more patient.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Give it time , You will have to do a few more water changes. It will take alittle time to get it back on track. If You had high nitrates and change 30 gallons , It may not even appear to have dropped , Removing the bio ball didn't lower them nitrates when taken out, Will help down the road to keep them lower. You need to do more water changes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Partobe, going through the Nitrate battle last month, I know where you are at. All flustered at your wits end. Looking at what you have and what you have been doing though concerns me. My issue was i had 180 off chart reading and come to find out that the macro(grape culpara) in my refuge was causing it. What type of plants do you have in your refug and what type of lighting are you hitting them with.

My suggestion here is remove the plant life from your refug. Put this into another tank with light and a PH see if Nitrates lower or raise. I will bet that this is what is causing the problem (suggestion on refug plants only use Cheatomorph all other go a-sexual and release nitrates to reporduce). Then do a good 75gal or more change, then a 50gal and then a 25 gal changes about 3 days apart. This will not shock your system and you will see the nitrates go dow to 0. on a 125gal you should be doing about 30gal every 2 weeks. I hope this helps like i said above this fixed my issue and should correct yours.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Vince and berlin joe.
Your prob right 30 gallon wasnt enough I will do another one this week.
I'm not sure what the plants I have are I ordered them online on ebay. I do know they are not the grape culpare. I had that in a nano and hated it. It took over the whole tank so I made sure I didnt get it again. This is much more string like very green(what isn't covered by slime). I have a 24watt compact on the refug. I dont have another tank I would have to do away with it completey. I would hate to throgh it out becase its full of pods.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Sound like You have Cheato already, I have reread this and can't see anything about them, until Your last post. Maybe Me LOL Alright on post 5 you mentioned it.. The slime part on the algae may be a bad thing. May want to remove some of it. get the slime out of the refugium.

I do agree with Berlin joe on Cheato be the best to use

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok I went back to ebay and pulled up my history the plants I have in my sump are called chaetomorpha sp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts