The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added a fish to my tank and put some Stresscoat in, which is causing my skimmer to foam excessively. What would you suggest?

I understand it's the aloe vera that causes it...I guess it's in Stresscoat to replicate lost slime due to stress.

Also, is there something I could use in the future to help fish acclimate without making skimmer go nuts?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Turn your skimmer off for a few days or do a few massive water changes...

Yes, temp acclimate them, then drip acclimate them, then add them to the tank. As long as your water quality/parameters are good they will be fine without any added "slime coat", they will produce what they need.

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Not using it in the future? That's about all I would suggest. We've never used it for SW, so I don't think it's near as important as with FW.

In fact, I think you are the first I've ever heard of who uses it in salt. Most of us don't use anything other than a good acclimation.

Sorry to not be much help...
Danielle

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will the Stresscoat dissipate if I just keep the skimmer off a few days? don't need another water change at the moment....will definitely not use anything in future

thanks...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes you have to know what questions to ask...I don't think I asked anyone about using Stresscoat...just assumed it was good for all, and the bottle says for saltwater and freshwater...didn't think there was any reason to check for advice.

Im a little concerned with doing a water change since I just added a fish...what's better: let the Stresscoat dissipate (if it actually does so), or do water change now...or water change, say, next weekend?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Actually just leave the skimmer running and replace the "skimmate" that you collect with an equal amount of fresh ASW... :)

Of course this really does equate to a water change... :funny:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used it on my store tanks and just throttle back the skimmer for a few days to allow for the extra foam. It will go away in a few days and the skimmer still works. The additive (by Kent) is for marine tanks but I can't see any difference in acclimating fish. They have done just as well without it. IME/IMO provided the right environment and water quality your new fish will do just as well without it.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yeah no need to use it..

i was using some on my tank when it first setup, and i was getting a gallon of water from my skimmer every two hours in my colelction jug.

i did a 10% water change, and it helped a lot. still had some extra water from the skimmer which returned to normal after about 3 days.

i now keep the stresscoat only for my last remaining fw tank, and my daughters newt/gold fish tank.

·
Administrator
47,686 Posts
Minimal handling of new fish , hopefully when the LFS catches them they are good at it and not chase it for several minutes or have rpeated escape the net episodes , minmizes the trauma to the fishes slime coat.
Also using that Red Slime Remover stuff will cause skimmer to go nuts as well, but then we all know better than to use antibiotics ina display tank , right :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts