The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Started my 220g build, just added rodi water and red sea salt. My question is, do I wait awhile to add the sand and live rock? Ive heard different things. I have the rock but Im still waiting on sand..suppose to be in on thursday

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
welcome to TRT! did you buy liverock or base dead rock? if its live rock I'd get it in the tank right away before it dies off to much, if its dead (dry) rock then just wait and add the sand when you get it then add the rock.

The sooner you get the sand and rock in the tank the sooner it can start to become "live" and get to the point that it can handle the bio-load to cycle your tank. Also once you get the sand and rock in the tank you should start to "feed" the tank. You can either sprinkle some fish food in like you would if there were fish in it, or you can get a couple pieces of frozen shrimp and throw them in, once they completely decompose and disappear your tank should be in pretty good shape to support life (once ammonia/nitrites are 0), but in general it will take about a month to cycle, maybe a little longer if you are using "dead" or dry rock...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Everyone does things a little different. I would have held off till I got the sand before adding water. I find it easier to add a few inches of water with the sand. I find it selltes a lot quicker if there's only a few inched of water rather than a whole tank which is going to cause a big storm. If you've got live rock then ya you gotta get it in the water asap. If you've got dead rock then there's no harm in adding that. In fact in my perfect world(ya right) I'd start with dead rock my base in the tank first, arranging them according to some kind of plan. Sand would go in next, this way your base will be nice and firm and won't topple easily if critters decide to burrow. Then I'd add 4-5inches of water and let the dust settle a bit (couple of hours.), a lot more if the tank is filled and then sand added. If using buckets to fill its harder to keep thing from blowing around so I like to use pump and hose. Fill er up and run a canister for 24hrs to polish the water.

Everyone's situation is different, but if anything spend as much time as you can getting your rock ready. Like drilling and using anchors to secure it, you don't want to be moving it around to much once your cycle is started.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
yeah I guess I'd second the lower water amount when adding sand... you could siphon the water out so theres just a couple inches in it, add the sand then add the water back in... I had a nice milkshake, but it cleared up in a day or so, so wasn't a huge deal...

I like to put a dinner plate in my tank when pouring large amounts of water in... in my FW tank I've actually tied a large flat rock towards the middle of a piece of driftwood for the same purpose, just to break the fall of the water and let it lightly cascade down instead of blasting the sand...

now that I added my sump I've started just siphoning my new water from a bucket sitting on a chair down to my sump then letting my return pump refill the DT...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the input.. I have live rock just wasn't sure if I could add that quickly. . But will add tomorrow. Yea I'll have a sandstorm for couple days but that's ok. Just wanted to get it going, I'm going to wait months anyway.. actually had a fish die yesterday (in my 90) so I threw it in there..thx for the help

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
you are using the dead fish to feed the bacteria? if so just leave it alone... the bacteria will completely consume it and it will disappear... will help boost your bacteria population.

the two frozen shrimp I put in my tank to cycle it got blown around a lot (10 gallon tank with 600+gph flow at the time) and eventually got sucked to the side of the powerhead, then the powerhead helped tear them apart and blow smaller chunks around... but eventually they completely disappeared and my tank was cycled good... I had really high nitrates at that point so had to do some good water changes to bring them down, but I hadn't done any water changes at all during the cycle so 2 large shrimp like that in a 10 gallon tank was a bit overkill =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I'm using the dead fish. Just added my live rock also . okay Now I have everything running even skimmer. Do I need to run the lights like normal for this cycle process?

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
its best to run your tank how you plan to run it long term. Run the lights like you normally would, run the skimmer, do a weekly water change to siphon the sand etc. The cycling time is just as much for you to learn your routines as it is for the tank to become stable... so you can practice mixing water to get it to the right s.g. to match whats already in the tank and so on...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts