The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have said before I sanded my formerly black painted pine stand down to raw wood, remade the pine doors and stained them as well... Here's how that all turned out

Attachments

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the end product

Attachments

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
look nice.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Looking good. Are you going to be building a matching canopy for it?

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for a canopy... No... I have a Coralife 72" aqualight pro with 834 watts of power MH light. So, if I wanted one (which I don't think I would) I couldn't put one in w/out taking the fixture apart to place it in there.

As for filling it up... I figure in the next week or so I should have all of the piping done so that I can run a test on it. If everything looks good then I'll make sure I fill it up on a Friday (so that I can be home incase if something were to happen unexpectedly).

Like I said I'll keep posting pics and we'll have to see how it goes. But, so far things are looking good =)

Jason

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Looks nice, have you used the coralife 72" light before? I am thinking about eventually getting one for my tank....just got to save the $$$'s....

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No actually I haven't used it before. I bought this fixture used on ebay (pretty much in pieces). It needed ballasts had a wiring issue that I had to resolve (which was INCREDIBLY easily resolved *1 loose wire*). And like I said didn't come with any ballasts so I had to buy them separate. All-in-all a brand new fixture costs between $900-$1000 where I have about $450-$500 invested and it's all good =). I'll tell you how it goes when I have it up.

Jason

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been ambitious the last few days and instead of the piping taking me roughly a week to do I have already completed the piping (or at least finished it until I have anything I want done differently or something I don't think works as well as I thought it might). If anyone has any suggestions on something I could do different I am definately open to suggestions! But, otherwise the way I have it I think will work well. Only thing I'm not so sure about is the way I have the sump partitions. I bought 1/8" acrylic and siliconed (aquatic safe) two pieces of them together for added strength then siliconed them into place staggering them. Starting from the front of the tank (which is a 75 gallon tank btw) is a 15" tall piece of acrylic, then a 13" tall piece, followed by a 10" tall piece. My only concern is being able to keep their structural integrity in place. If anyone has any ideas on how I can go about this I'm definately open to suggestions. Although I think once there is water in each stage there wont be much resistance seeing as the water will work as a counter balance on each side other than for those few inches above where I have them staggered.

Enjoy,

Jason

btw this is my first effort at attempting such a plumbing extravaganza. So if you are a plumber please don't throw me under the bridge lol.

Attachments

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last few I wanted to add.

Ideas are definately welcome. Also, I'm thinking about putting my Aqua C 150 skimmer in the 2nd from the shortest compartment in the sump is this a good idea or should I try to fit it into the same bay as that of the recirculating pump? Again, just looking for some input.

Jason

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
You might want to check out melevesreef.com for more info on a sump. Usually, people use baffles (partitions) to prevent bubbles from reaching the return pump. Three baffles are used so that the water flows over-under-over the baffles. The baffles are placed 2 inches apart from each other and the middle baffle is placed 2 inches above the floor of the sump. The protein skimmer is placed in the chamber that receives water from the display. BTW, is your external return pump self priming? If not, it will not "suck" water up from the sump and into the pump body. You may be better off drilling a bulkhead into your sump and connecting the pump there instead. HTH

·
Registered
853 Posts
Here's the end product
I HAVE THE SAME EXACT STAND FOR MY 180..IT WAS BLACK WHEN I GOT IT, WITH THE DOORS SLOTED LIKE THAT, BUT I PAINTED IT WHITE ,REPLACED ALL DOORS AND MADE NEW ONES :)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have my skimmer in the "input" chamber on the far right of my sump. Bubbletrap uses about .25" acrylic bonded in place with weldon. My tank is acrylic, this won't work with glass. My bubbletrap is only 1" spacing, a bit tight to clean, but it takes up much less space in the sump. I have a fuge on the far left, fed by a Y in the overflow from the tank. Both fuge and skimmer compartments feed the return in the middle. Make the return section bigger if you can, as all the evaporation loss occurs here. The other section (s) will always have a constant volume/level. The larger the return, the more time you have between top-offs (and the bigger changes in salinity, but on a tank this big it's a pretty nominal amount). Let me know if you'd like to check mine out...I'm in Onalaska.
Matt

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the invite and I might just take you up on that... I tested out the system today and worked out a few kinks (mainly a few very minor water leaks due to not tightening up my hose bibs well enough). Other than that I will post up some pics of the tank tomarrow. I filled it ran it for about 4 hours just to make sure everything ran the way I wanted and to hopefully see no water spots anywhere (which ended up the case after adjusting a few things). Also put in all 300 lbs of that sand I was talking about and holy crap I will say that turns out to be one freak'n deep sand bed lol. *should easily clear 5"-5.5" when all is said and done* lol. Anyhow I'll get those pics up and hopefully I'll be able to start putting in my rock tomarrow I'm making RO water like crazy right now so that I can keep mixing it up (the sump is full with SW so I just need to get the display tank full).

Jason

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tank is now fully operational... I know I know pics as I said I would post a few days ago... I just got the tank 100% setup today. Skimmer is somewhat dialed in. Rock and sand are set. Piping is leak free... Things are going well.

Also took a side view pic of my current 70 gallon tank next to my 75 gallon sump. (makes a guy kind of depressed to know that I'm using a bigger tank as a SUMP than I am as a display tank) lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Are you going to keep it down there? Plumb it in as a frag grow out, or mega refugium!

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You must be talking about the 70 gallon correct? If so, that isn't a bad idea what-so-ever... I mean heck it's already setup and running it wouldn't take much for me to rig up another lighting system on there. (Currently it's a jbj 192watt p.c. flourescent over it). Think I might seriously put some thought into that!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts