The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in bit of a panic here, I arrived home today and went to go sit infront of my aquarium for awhile and I was shocked to see most of the corraline in my tank has turned white and has appeared to die! Now I recently discovered a LR hitchhiker of an urchin, but he has been in there for months(he must have been) and has not caused any damage. So I doubt he is the culprit. Now I did a water test and everything was in order, Nitrates were a little high, but the corals look fine. Any sugestions would be most appreciated.
Kenn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, the only real change I have done recently is add about 5 hours to the photoperiod, the guy that helped me set up my tank said to only leave the lights on for 6 hours a day, but after doing my own research it seems everyone goes with nature's way and leaves them on about 12, looking bad I probably should have made this change gradually, but I was foolish. I still do not think that owuld be enough to pretty much wipe out half of my corraline population.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Please post all yuur parameters.

Urchins can eat a lot of coralline - I've seen them eat a "swath" of white out of an otherwise purple rock.

Coralline does not bleach but it will die off if exposed to air... did you drain the tank down below the rock where the coralline is white?

Jenn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, I have not done a water change in awhile, I am actually about to do one because my nitrates are a little high....
Nitrates- 20ppm(bad)
Nitrites- 0ppm
pH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0ppm
Temp- Constant 80deg.

·
5,916 Posts
How often and how much are you changing? What brand of salt do you use?

Could be that your trace elements are depleted.

I use Kent Tech CB parts A and B for calcium and alk and if coralline is sluggish, a bit of Tech M usually kickstarts it quite nicely.

Regular water changes can reduce or even eliminate the need for dosing depending on the demands of your tank... but if there's an imbalance, it's going to show up sooner or later.

HTH

Jenn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I change the water every 3 weeks, 10gallons in a 54gallon. I buy saltwater from my LFS premixed, and the additives I put in the tank are iron, iodine, and calcium. Is there anything else I should be using.

·
5,916 Posts
Hrmm well that's not bad -- pretty good actually - but then why are your trates so high then? How much you feeding and how often?

I can understand dosing calcium (as long as you watch your alk....) but *why* are you adding iodine and iron?

Jenn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My LFS told me to dose the tank with the iodine and iron, I guess this was bad advice? And I feed usually nightly, they get a concoction of frozen mysis, cyclo-peeze, and cut up seaweed, I may be overfeeding slightly, would that show up in the trates?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
heh!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
test your iodine level...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will have to go out tomorrow to the LFS to buy that kit, I will post when I have more information.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
while you are there, get Ca and alk test kits. :) depending on your system and the amount of coraline algae they could have depleted either your alk or your Ca and could be dying off.

i am pretty good at killing off my coraline. i am on my second completely covered back glass. all i did was increase the flow and i killed off the entire back glass.

G~

·
5,916 Posts
I don't think I've ever sold a bottle of iron supplement although there are 2 on the shelf (I dust them off periodically :funny: )

Reading I've done suggests that if you have a lot of macroalgae (Caulerpa, etc) it can benefit from iron supplements.

Iodine may be a benefit IF you have a lot of soft corals and crustaceans but for most hobbyists, regular water changes will replenish this without any extra supplementation.

More is not better with either of these elements. They are TRACE elements -- TRACE is the key word... adding these makes them more than "trace" unless you have some big consumer of them. They can actually become toxic if they reach high enough concentrations.

And yes, overfeeding will reflect in your nitrate levels.

Jenn

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
kal2310 said:
Nope, I have not done a water change in awhile, I am actually about to do one because my nitrates are a little high....
Nitrates- 20ppm(bad)
If your nitrates are this high then you most likely have high phosphate levels, corraline will not do well if this is the case.
Steve

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
good call on the phosphates, Steve.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My best guess is a sudden change in alk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts