The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the madness begins. I am drilling the 100g Thursday or friday and prepping for a BB SPS tank. I want this thing clean (my CLS will strip the paint off a Buick) so i need a good suggestion on a good skimmer for this thing. so far i have done turbofloaters, remora, and a few no name customs. this time i want a good standard skimmer that is not dependant on a needle wheel or a crappy venturi (injectors it is i guess). i would prefer to keep the height down to no more than 24" too.

if there is anything i need to know about the skimmer you recommend then please tell me in your post too. i wanna know about special features or quirks

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just got a bullet 3 and it is a beast. I love the becketts. I love to tinker and mess with things and the becketts allow for that. In fact they require it. They are power hogs though. I have a pcx-55 running it. I get about a half gallon of skimate a day though. This is in my 60gal. A bit of overkill, but it will be plumbed inline with my 200gal when the time is right.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
I have just never seen a needlewheel skimmer that can pull 1/4 the air this beckett can, or can push out the skimate this thing does.

Whiskey
Not that I wanted to hijack your thread and make it a skimmer thread BUT...

I took a look at the MR-2. It looks like it's made to run external? I think I would prefer in the sump, less chance for disasters. Also, is the collection cup really that small or does it come with a drain or what? AND, as far as cleaning, talk about a bunch of screws, I can whip my ASM apart in 5 seconds.

I am looking for a BIGGER skimmer so that's why I ask. I don't HAVE to get an ASM but I sure like it.

·
11,345 Posts

I took a look at the MR-2. It looks like it's made to run external? I think I would prefer in the sump, less chance for disasters. Also, is the collection cup really that small or does it come with a drain or what? AND, as far as cleaning, talk about a bunch of screws, I can whip my ASM apart in 5 seconds.

I am looking for a BIGGER skimmer so that's why I ask. I don't HAVE to get an ASM but I sure like it.
The MR-2's cna be run insump or out of sump. It comes with a drain AND a quick release option : )

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts

To add to what fly said,...

The MR-2 also seals up tight preventing problems, and if you have the waste container, when it gets full it will shut the skimmer down and prevent overflows.

Whiskey

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that the beckett style skimmers are the best choice. I just just don't like the fact they need a 175w pump to run them. If you live somewhere with high energy costs like me (california) they just arent energy efficient. Im going to be trying a new tunze doc 9020 skimmer. Ive read nothing but good things about them. Also you can purchase a foam extraction kit that allows you to open the airflow more in order to get a more wet skimmate. All this and it only uses 21W..

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, so i know what kind of skimmer i want... now i need suggestions on a pressure rated pump that will handle 2 penductors on a cls... thoughts??

·
Registered
290 Posts
i have a used Gen X PCX 55 if you are interested... pressure rated.. check it out.. I'll sell it for cheap... Mods, I promise this is a used pump I bought when I didnt have my business, not making money off it, its used, but in new condition.. you can see it in my tank update pics.

G

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a pcx-55 running two penducters and I thought it did a good job. I don't really have anything to compare it too though. The same pump is running my bullet 3 now and it keeps up with that high pressure application without any problem.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
I agree that the beckett style skimmers are the best choice. I just just don't like the fact they need a 175w pump to run them. If you live somewhere with high energy costs like me (california) they just arent energy efficient. Im going to be trying a new tunze doc 9020 skimmer. Ive read nothing but good things about them. Also you can purchase a foam extraction kit that allows you to open the airflow more in order to get a more wet skimmate. All this and it only uses 21W..
hmmm! so thats why my power bill is so high ! my skimmer pump uses 445 watts . but man does this thing kick some but ! since your hieght limited i would have to say a bullet or an mrc . you know like the others said before me ! :D

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
but one thing ! since your going to run an external pump why not just keep the skimmer external also ? then you won't be vertically challenged !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts