The Reef Tank banner

starting reef tank

1K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  deanp88 
#1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank with live rock and sand, and 1 clown fish and 3 green chromis'. I got the tank from a friend and the filter hangs from the back and has some sort of a protein skimmer mechanism to it. Ive been wanting to start coral but im still trying to get my parameter levels good in order to start. I have never had any coral and i would definitely like to start. What exactly do i need to do and what other equipment do i need?

#2 ·
what kind of lighting do you have? that would be the next item on the coral list.

some good beginner corals are mushrooms and zoas. they bring lots of color and can withstand radioactive warfare if you know what i mean.

#3 ·
my lighting was actually made from the guy i bought it from. There is a wooden top to the tank and it folds open. The light consists of 4 bulbs, two of them are normal florescent lights, and the other two are some kind of coral light, but not sure exactly which kind. He said the guy who set it up for him a few years ago said that it was made for coral. As for the corals, i am thinking about putting zoos and polyps. I know those can grow fast. Im usually bad with taking my time on things, but i think i can try with this. I know i will most likely need a powerhead, but my filter gives a good waterflow. Could you basically just list out step by step what exactly i should do from here? Thanks for the help

#6 ·
The other thing is that you have way too many fish in their. 4 fish in a 10g is alot. I think 2 is your max, that is why your parameters are goofy. Your bio load is very heavy right now. I would get rid of two, then you could start adding coral.

#8 ·
With any coral you need some flow. Even if they require very low flow. I would put in at least one PH. Smaller tanks are harder to keep a good balance with. Just one goof can pollute the entire tank quickly. I would agree with to many fish. A 10 gallon is a cheaper way to start but you need to be on your game with the parameters. I like the sign on your tank though...

#13 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
The best way is pump out and gravity flow back in. You cannot use two pumps because eventually one will overpower the other and you will have a flood. You could go top to bottom or side to side.If you need further help you can pm me and I would be glad to walk you through it.

#14 ·
cute tank. easiest corals are xeia, mushrooms, green star polyps, kenya tree...mainly softies. just make sure to watch your tank, it's only a 10 so the params need to be watched/checked regularly. I agree you are a bit heavy on the bio-load...incorporating a refugium wil help a lot...if you can use a 20 even for a sump that'd be even better. Can put everything u need in that including skimmer, plants, heater, etc. I like the sign as well:D

#24 ·
If all our fuges were bigger than our displays we would all be better off in my opinion. I know when I go bigger my 210 is all fuge baby! WHOLE NUTHER ECO SYSTEM, WHOLE LOTTA PLANNING, GOTTA GET LIGHTS ,SAND, BIGGER RETURN PUMP, powerheads, rock.......new place to live....Lawyers, divorce papers .............................:bigeek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.