The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently many of my fish just died, some jumped, some hit a pump and was chewed up and some just died. (I dont know what is going on!) I moved all the fish that were remaining out of the tank, and am starting over. I have somewhat of a list and dont know if it will be too many fish. So please give me your input.
First of all the tank:
200 Gallon with 55 refege.
Turboflo 1000 skimmer
Ehiem Canister
Magnum 350 Canister (running carbon)
U/V Zapper
Lights: VHO's on the left side, MH on the right with some compaqs too.

Coral wise I have and want mainly LPS and softies. Mushrooms and some other random things like Zoa's.

My main concern is that my bio load might be high, but there are ways around that. So for the fish my list is as follows but is not limited to. I like suggestions!!:p
1X 6-Line Wrasse
1X Blue Star Wrasse
1X African Blue Tang (already own)
1X Copperband Butterflyfish (reef safe???)
3X Kauderns Cardinals
5-6X Green Reef Chromis
2X Randalls Anthias
2-3X Yellow Tangs
1X Fridmani Pseudochromis
2-4X Blue Neon Gobys
1X Orange Market Goby
2 Percula Clowns
1X Purplefirefish
1X Tiger Watchman Goby

Yeah it is alot, but the tank is 8 feet long...so it helps spread them out. Plus I just want color!!

·
Pirate
208 Posts
copperband butterflyfish is questionable. if you dont want any feather dusters, ornamental pods and such, sure. i think they can also peck at clams and polyps.
if you wanted, with such a large tank, you could get multiple firefish. id say one per 4sq ft of space in your tank should be fine. they might even school for you.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
As far as the anthias go, I think that they seem much cooler when you keep them in like a heirem of like 4 as opposed to 2. Do your reading on the specific types of fish, as fish like anthias do best when fed more frequently than some other fish. That is alot of goby's too, make sure that they are all going to get along :). Oh, and most importantly what skimmer do you have, because your bioload is going to be directly related to your nutrient export. (If that makes sense)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Again how much rock do you have? That TB1000 isn't big enough for your tank, although a good skimmer I wouldn't put it on anything bigger than a 75g tank. What are you using to test water with? What are your levels, Nitrite, Nitrate, ammonia? All these fish make lots of waste, you need to export as much as they import through your feeding & their poop!

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
skimmer is much too small, you are looking at a good sized skimmer for your setup, if you wanna keep the tank clean. I would think you would need to look in the range of an asm g4x, but I would also talk to spazz and see how much it would cost to build a custom skimmer because it is usually not much more, and getting it locally means you dont have to ship it back if there are any issues like a leak, or if it cracks, you can usually sweet talk someone into a)fixing it for you or b)teaching you how to fix it. JMO tho-

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think that the 2 to 3 yellow tangs may be a bit much. I would deversify with the tangs if you want that many of them rather than 2-3 of the same type. I have a copper banded and he doesnt pick on any corals, dont know about the feather dusters since I dont have any. That skimmer is too small but with the other filtration you are probably able to get by for a little while.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Some high flow power heads (maxi mods, seio, tunzi)
200lb kalini
200 Gallon with 55 SUMP.
ASM G4 / ER 280 or better
Magnum 350 Canister (running carbon)
U/V Zapper
Lights: VHO's on the left side, MH on the right with some compaqs too.

Coral wise I have and want mainly LPS and softies. Mushrooms and some other random things like Zoa's.

My main concern is that my bio load might be high, but there are ways around that. So for the fish my list is as follows but is not limited to. I like suggestions!!:p
1X 6-Line Wrasse
1X Blue Star Wrasse
1X African Blue Tang (already own)
1X Yellow Tang
1x Cole Tang
1X Copperband Butterflyfish (reef safe???)
2X Randalls Anthias
1X Fridmani Pseudochromis
1X Blue Neon Gobys
1X Orange Market Goby
2 Percula Clowns
1X Tiger Watchman Goby

I got to stop there.... wife calling me lol

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Fridmani, or the splendid psuedochromis. I love the fridmani and am going to put one in the frag tank (an ORA one since their temperment seems to be better), but I wouldn't trade anything for the splendid I have in the 220. He is absolutely beautifull :)

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
oh, and you need a rabbitfish. No reef is complete without a rabbitfish if you ask me. I will someday find a magnificent rabbitfish to add to my tank, someday...(sigh)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Assuming I bought a large skimmer like ASM G4, would my goal of that many fish be out of reach? I dont know where to find simple thing like how many fish per tank rule of thumb or other little things like that.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Here is what I have in a 220:
1) Large Blonde Naso Tang
1) Rabbitfish
1) Kole Tang
1) Sailfin Tang
1) Marine Beta
1) Splendid Psuedochromis
1) Red headed solar fairy wrasse
1) Christmas wrasse
1) Fillamented flasher wrasse
1) Green coris wrasse
2) Oscellaris Clownfish

I have a monster skimmer and plan on adding more fish, just not many more. The skimmer I have now is probably equivalent to an ASM G5 or similar. The one I am having built will put all ASM's to shame :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts