The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I'm new to the reefing business but I have discovered (what seems to be) a decent aquarium at my LFS. It's called the AquaOne AquaReef 275. It's a 73 gallon tank and it comes with skimmer, heaters, etc. I have researched into it and have heard some rather disconcerting stories! Has anyone had any experience with it? What would be best to stock it with?

Thanks! :fish:

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Welcome to The Reef Tank benjamin.

Does the tank come with any warranty? Do you trust your LFS personnel/saleman?

If you proceed with a start up of this tank or any other you settle on, you're 4-6 weeks away from adding any livestock. During that time, you'll have the TRT forum to learn, ask and comment.

You'll like it here @ TRT.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Welcome to TRT Benjamin_hart!

Aquaone's seem to be only sold in Europe/UK and Australia. Another member is getting one, a 400 I think, in Australia I read. I downloaded the manual and from what I can tell it has a sump with skimmer, media filter (bio-balls), and pump included. I would remove the bio-balls and use live rock in the sump if I were you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks all for your replies.

pmarkj:

What would the benefit of live rock be instead of bioballs? I would have live rock in the aquarium itself. Also, if I was to have live rock in the sump, would I need lighting under the tank to encourage algae and "good" bacteria growth on the rock? Thanks :) :)

Geoff:
This is the stock-standard sump (without the protein skimmer) - http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/at...be-brand-new-stoke-trent-st3-2ax-img_8234.jpg

Here is a picture of the whole tank - http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2012Q3/DSC01620.jpg

Here is a picture of a "wet" tank - http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2012Q2/IMG_0591_2.jpg

Another tank that is up and running - http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/image/265877.jpg

Thanks again for all of your replies. It's great to be learning so much about reefing! :fish:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creamhorses:

The tank does come with a warranty - it is at least a 1 year, but I am pretty sure that it is 2. My LFS is the biggest in the city and I believe they are the best. They seem to know what they are talking about, care for the fish properly and have the best prices! What exactly do you mean by honest?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again all -

I stumbled across this amazing aquascape while surfing the 'net - I have numbered (left to right in those little red boxes) the corals/anemones that I do not know the names of but might want to add to a future aquarium. It would be great if you could enlighten me as to what the names of them are and care level, temperament, etc.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
have you come across the Reefkeeping Made Easy thread yet? link located in mine and others signature?

bioballs trap detritus and as they decompose release nitrates and phosphates into the water column to feed algae.

i prefer to leave a sump completely empty except for equipment. skimmers, heaters, return pump.

the picture of the tank you posted is what we would classify as a softie tank. tend to require more inorganic nutrients in the water column. sand works well in these systems. you can see algae is growing in the system. the biggest square you have is around a group of anemones. the bright red coral on the left is a non-photosynthetic coral. very hard to keep out in the light like that. they tend to be in caves hanging upside down. they require lots of feeding. they live in caves because in general where they are located the amount of food they eat creates a good amount of algae growth possible.

G~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Geoff!

I'll check out that link. Thanks for the info on the corals - it's really helpful! Also, what do you mean by "inorganic nutrients"?

Thanks! :)

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
inorganic nutrients are the nutrients you can test for, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and PO4. the problem is that very little of the total nutrients in a system are in the inorganic form. most of them are in the organic form. contained in living organisms, or in waste organic material. detritus, poo, bacteria, worms, etc. they all contain elemental N and P. the best way to test for the total amount of nutrients in a system is by using your eyes. the more life you have in the system, the more nutrients there are. you can very low testable numbers, but the system could be overloaded in nutrients.

hard concepts here.

the Reefkeeping Made Easy thread will get into great detail about this.

G~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts