The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm starting my first nano tank and looking for help/advice. I'm setting up in a 30Lx12Wx12H glass tank which I guestimate to be around 18gal. I used oceanic natural sea salt mix and got my specific gravity around 1.021-1.022 (trying to raise it to 1.024 gradually). For lighting I am using a coralife 65 watt 50/50 10,000K and true actinic 03 blue. I placed 20lbs of aragonite reef sand which allready contained bacteria for saltwater reef tank, I got this stuff at my lfs and it was highly reccomended though I don't know how good it trully is. I also placed about 10 lbs of live rock, cured. For circulation I am using a Rio 600 (200gph). I was going to wait the cycle through before adding anything else. For filtration I am attempting to make my system self sufficient by letting the live rock and live sand (and critters I will add later) take care of the waste and hope to only have to do 10% water change a week. How long should my cycle take and what am I doing right or wrong? Any advice, comment will be greatly appreciated and also what next step would you recommend I take, i.e. what to add first?

Thanks.
Marc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Below are some pics to show tank progress

Tank right after setup. Water extremely cloudy.

Tank just ten hours after setup, already much clearer, a lot of
air still on the glass but I can just about see clear through it.

BTW It won't always be on the floor but have to wait till I finish the
stand before it goes anywhere else plus this way it's much more
accessible.

Marc.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
sounds like a 20 gal long. I have the same thing only it's fish only w/ LR. I have about 15-18 pounds of LR, a Rio 600, and also a whisper filter (just because I had it laying around). The tank houses a damsel, bicolor pseudochromis, 2 astrea snails, 1 brittle star, an emerald crab, and 2 scarlet hermits and I very rarely have to do water changes. I've been doing 1 gal waterchanges about every 2-3 weeks and the water quality stays very high. good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loverotties said:
1st welcome to TRT! It looks good but you need alot more LR.You should have about 1 1/2 lbs per gallon!Good luck!
I am going to put way more LR in it but @ $7.99 per lbs for cured LR at my lfs I have to wait till next month till I can invest in more.

markak15 said:
sounds like a 20 gal long. I have the same thing only it's fish only w/ LR
Thanks, I was guessing at the size, this was a used tank I had laying around that used to belong to my brother that I got after he moved.

Marc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.