The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm starting my first nano tank and looking for help/advice. I'm setting up in a 30Lx12Wx12H glass tank which I guestimate to be around 18gal. I used oceanic natural sea salt mix and got my specific gravity around 1.021-1.022 (trying to raise it to 1.024 gradually). For lighting I am using a coralife 65 watt 50/50 10,000K and true actinic 03 blue. I placed 20lbs of aragonite reef sand which allready contained bacteria for saltwater reef tank, I got this stuff at my lfs and it was highly reccomended though I don't know how good it trully is. I also placed about 10 lbs of live rock, cured. For circulation I am using a Rio 600 (200gph). I was going to wait the cycle through before adding anything else. For filtration I am attempting to make my system self sufficient by letting the live rock and live sand (and critters I will add later) take care of the waste and hope to only have to do 10% water change a week. How long should my cycle take and what am I doing right or wrong? Any advice, comment will be greatly appreciated and also what next step would you recommend I take, i.e. what to add first?

Thanks.
Marc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Below are some pics to show tank progress

Tank right after setup. Water extremely cloudy.

Tank just ten hours after setup, already much clearer, a lot of
air still on the glass but I can just about see clear through it.

BTW It won't always be on the floor but have to wait till I finish the
stand before it goes anywhere else plus this way it's much more
accessible.

Marc.

Attachments

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
1st welcome to TRT! It looks good but you need alot more LR.You should have about 1 1/2 lbs per gallon!Good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
sounds like a 20 gal long. I have the same thing only it's fish only w/ LR. I have about 15-18 pounds of LR, a Rio 600, and also a whisper filter (just because I had it laying around). The tank houses a damsel, bicolor pseudochromis, 2 astrea snails, 1 brittle star, an emerald crab, and 2 scarlet hermits and I very rarely have to do water changes. I've been doing 1 gal waterchanges about every 2-3 weeks and the water quality stays very high. good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loverotties said:
1st welcome to TRT! It looks good but you need alot more LR.You should have about 1 1/2 lbs per gallon!Good luck!
I am going to put way more LR in it but @ $7.99 per lbs for cured LR at my lfs I have to wait till next month till I can invest in more.

markak15 said:
sounds like a 20 gal long. I have the same thing only it's fish only w/ LR
Thanks, I was guessing at the size, this was a used tank I had laying around that used to belong to my brother that I got after he moved.

Marc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the tank 24 hours after setup, it has cleared rather well.
I'm thinking of taking readings of the water tomorrow. Is that
too early or is it never too early to take readings.

still a lot of air on the glass but I left it, I don't want to start
disturbing the water yet.

Marc

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts