The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I wen't out with my parents and bought a Red Sea Max 250 (66 gallon.) This tank is perfect for a beginner like me as all hardware and filters are included. I have a lot of question to ask as I am only 13 and my knowledge of Marines is low.

Firstly, how much fish would I be able to keep?

Second; I am so excited to set up my tank as it looks amazing and is going to be perfect. I am hopefully going to stock the tank with 2 Black and white ocellaris clowns, 2 Common Clowns, 1 Royal Gramma and 1 Mandarin (I have enough live rock to support a mandarin.) The man at the store had no concerns about this combination but I would like to get other views on the amount of fish and type of fish.

My last question is, I have recently become interested by the Dwarf Fuzzy Lion fish I think it is a great creature to have in your tank and will complete the reef. The are selling a couple at the store and they are willing to order in more.

Would I be able to keep this in the reef as the Dwarf Fuzzy Lion fish is smaller than most fish and would have no chance of eating any of them, but I am worried about it eating the Sps and Lps corals will it eat them?

I would be grateful for any help or reply's. :) :fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
1. The number of fish depends on the size of the fish and how territorial they are.

2. mixing different types of clown fish is usually not advised but sometimes works fine. The mandarin though will probably be a no go. I have been told that you need +75 lbs of live rock in a SEPARATE tank to support enough pods for a mandarin.

3. Lionfish are aggressive and tend to not do too well with non aggressive fish like clowns.

4. Welcome to thereeftank! The best thing right now is to go slow and read a lot before you make any more purchases... not all local fish store (LFS) employees are just looking for sales but it seems either your store is or they are ill informed on a few things. If you have anymore questions ask away. We try to respond as quick as possible but we wont always be as quick as this post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should go with a deep sandbed, go to lowes and buy playground sand, sift it, and rinse it well. You want at least 2" of it so the anerobic, and aeorbic bacteria will thrive. You only need purchase one bag of live sand, and as much live rock as you can, at least one pound per gallon of water. You then need to let the tank cycle for six weeks before you put anything else in it.. By going with a deep sandbed that will help keep the nitrates down which is something we all battle.. Good Luck and be patient, rome was not built overnight....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you this helps a lot I'm not actually planning to set it up till Christmas when I know exactly what to do. :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

Glad that you have decided to wait to set this up while you research. You will read a lot of conflicting info on the web so always get a second opinion about everything. Never just take one persons opinion as fact. Even Mine. Good luck. And definately read up on the pros and cons of deep sand beds, shallow sand beds, and bare bottom. All have their advantages/disadvantages mostly due to livestock, algae, and maintance.

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts
You should go with a deep sandbed, go to lowes and buy playground sand, sift it, and rinse it well. You want at least 2" of it so the anerobic, and aeorbic bacteria will thrive. You only need purchase one bag of live sand, and as much live rock as you can, at least one pound per gallon of water. You then need to let the tank cycle for six weeks before you put anything else in it.. By going with a deep sandbed that will help keep the nitrates down which is something we all battle.. Good Luck and be patient, rome was not built overnight....
I have to disagree 150% on this one. I would use a shallow sand bed simply for aesthetics, the LR houses all the aerobic/anaerobic bacteria you will need. Play sand also, is usually silica based. Algae loves silicates. I would only use calcium carbonate based sand like aragonite.

The RSM tanks are beautiful, good choice! The only problem I have with them is the filtration. You might need to upgrade the skimmer eventually.

As far as fish, lionfish will eat anything they can fit (or almost fit) into their mouths. If thats what you want, go with a FOWLR tank with other semi-aggressive fish.

Welcome to TRT! Read around here and see what other people are doing to get an idea of how you want to make your tank. My build thread is linked in my signature, there is some decent info in there. Also "Reefkeeping Made Easy" is a fantastic thread that should be made into a book. I would read through all of it

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

the amount of LR is not really the important part with keeping mandarins it is the amount of nutrients in the system. it is hard to have enough nutrients in the system to support the pods that support the mandarin unless you have algae growing in the system. the pods and the algae feed on the same nutrients. the unfortunate part is that the algae is not very attractive, so it becomes a catch 22 unless the tank is very large.

if you do decide to go with sand, make sure it is aragonite, and not silica. you can tell the difference by putting some sand in vinegar. if it dissolves, then it is aragonite.

the object is to get a sand bed that is easily cleaned on a regular basis. you will need to do the cleaning, there are not any critters that will do it for you.

as far as critters. clowns are mean little buggers and will not tolerate several in a tank of that size. you could be fine with a mated pair if you can get those, if not just stick with one. the lionfish will eat anything that will fit in its mouth. their mouths open very wide, so it may well eat a clownfish and even the mandarin depending on the size of the lion. dwarf just means smaller than a full sized lion. which are over 1 foot in length.

G~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts