The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im a new member to this site so i might be posting this in the wrong place.
i am just starting my first salt water tank and i dont know much. there are a couple question i have. first one is i installed a protien skimmer recently and i had to remove the filter. is that a good thing?? the second one is what general things should i know about taking care of this tank.

·
Registered
827 Posts
welcome to TRT! congrats on starting a new saltwater tank. First, start off with your tank specifications and protein skimmer model. How new is the tank. etc,. give us a little intro so we can get started!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Welcome! Maybe give us some more specifics on your tank and what you're looking at keeping, corals and/or fish? What size tank? Type of equipment you're using now?

·
Registered
236 Posts
congrats on starting a new saltwater tank. First, start off with your tank specifications and protein skimmer model. How new is the tank. etc,. give us a little intro so we can get started!
Welcom to TRT! :thumbup:

Some water test info would help as well.

What are you intending to keep in the tank?

Good Luck!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi sorry i didnt give any info. k so the salt level is where its suppose to be. i measured it and all. i just put in about 3 lbs of live rock to start. its a 14g biocube tank. i got the protein skimmer that was made for that tank. umm i havent measured the nitrate or anythnig like that yet because i will be adding more live rock soon so i didnt think it would matter if i didnt measure it now. umm i was planning on keeping corals but not a lot. i dont know which kinds there are i was just gonna go into a store and pick one that i liked. umm for sure im gonna have 2 clown fish and maybe a couple of other different ones but once again not sure until i go and get them. and the normal cleaners like snails and crabs. if you guyz have any recommendation on fish corals and etc. please let me know. i wanna try and do this right the first time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome. This is a great place to start.

i wanna try and do this right the first time.
To do that, you need to figure out what you want. not just go to the store and get what looks good. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well i shouldnt say just go to the store and get whatever. i actually have ideas of what i want i just dont know what they are called. i will look up all the names and stuff later tonight and i will post so everyone has an idea of what i want.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Just remember that with a 14 gallon tank you need to be conscious of the size fish will grow to and the bio load associated with those fish. A 14 gallon might be too much for anything more than your clown fish and depending on the type of clowns you want to keep might be too small for them even. Also in small environments most clown fish do best in pairs of their on sub species (IE you would keep 2 ocellaris clowns, not 1 ocellaris clown and a clarkii clown) Something to consider is this list Dr's Foster and Smith put together of suggested nano fish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

The best thing you can do when you're starting out is to research and make a list of things that appeal to you and you would like to keep. Then when you're in the stores you aren't buying on impulse your buying on an educated knowledge of that fish/coral.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you. i knew about the clown fish. you can only keep the same pair together. i was thinking of a maroon clown fish. but there are these other balck clowns that appeal to me that i might consider. i havent got there actually names yet but when i do i will let you know. they are black and yellow. and i will do my research, my tank is still cycling and and i still have to add about 7 more lbs of live rock. so this should take up about 2 to 3 weeks before i get fish or coral

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
hi im a new member to this site so i might be posting this in the wrong place.
i am just starting my first salt water tank and i dont know much. there are a couple question i have. first one is i installed a protien skimmer recently and i had to remove the filter. is that a good thing??YES the second one is what general things should i know about taking care of this tank.
That's some question,How to test the water,change the water etc... It a vag question,what type of tank you going to do?Fish Only,Fish Only with Live Rock,Reef?Need more info!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
On average your maroons are going to grow to up to 6" where occellaris clowns or the black ones you're looking at. The "true" perculas are another nice way to go, but most LFS who sell "true" perculas arent true they're false, you can typically tell by the quantity of black from the stripes on the body. Anyways, they're cool too.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+27+142&pcatid=142

·
Registered
430 Posts
when starting a new tank i always stress go very slowly stocking it, this way you can detect and solve problems as they occur so do not stock too rapidly, I think any zoos are fine to start.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Welcom nguyenma, adding the rock is fine but undrestand that the tank will be ready when the water perameters tell you it is safe as opposed to time frams like two weeks or two months. I can recoment that in a 14G tank you may not want to get a pair of GSMC (gold stripe M clowns) if they bond and grow they will stake claim to the entire tank and they are amungst the most agressive of the clown family. Good luck and research a bit, I find if you make a short must have livestock list that will live in a nano then it is easier to choose the supporting charactors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the help so far. i was thinking of introducing a couple of coral soon. umm im still not sure about which corals to add because i dont know any.... iagrew recommended zoos. i dont know what that is lol. ill do more research on it tomorrow. thanks for the help guys. ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Don't add anything untill you are done adding rock and then wait for the tank to fully cycle, corals wont live through the cycle and as before don't measure water readyness by time, each tank and peice of rock you add is diff. test the water or have it tested preferably by someone that is not trying to sell you something. Be patient, rushing leads to disasters, wasted money and dead livestock.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts