The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are several of us down here who would like to have our own reef club. I have been in TCMAS for a few years now, and I would like to hear all your input as what you guys think, make TCMAS so great!!!!

I am thinking the informality of it. Believe me, all of us who are not associated with another entity, here in town, want nothing to do with the control that they have. We just want it to be fun and informal.

So post away!!!! Tell me what you think!!! Should be fun getting together with the 100's of local reef people who keep our LFS coffers full! I talk to enough of them!!!! So we might as well start trading some frags and so forth!

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
isnt there a rochester reef club already ??

or was it disbanded ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, let's see. For the club to be successful, we need a president, a vice-president, an assistant vice-president, a treasurer, a secretary of state, a secretary of defense, secretaries of internal and external affairs, 20 or so senators, some representatives, a few council elders, $150 monthly due payable to me.

Oh and most importantly, many cases of beers at the meetings.

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
The Rochester Marine Aquarium Club (RMAC) is alive and well in Rochester. We meet the second Tuesday of every month starting around 6-6:30PM at different members houses to view tanks, discuss club business, trade frags and stories, and usually eat supper of some kind. We are a loosely organized group of salt water fish and reef keepers that like to get together and talk about the hobby. We currently have three elected officers and no joining fee. The three positions are President, Treasure, and Secretary. Basically the president tries to keep us all moving one direction when we meet, and organize when and where we meet. All club decisions are made by vote. The Treasure keeps track of all the club expenses, and the Secretary keeps records of all "official" club business. I am the secretary, and to tell truth I have not taken a note in months ;)

I am happy to invite any an all of you to our next Club meeting which is tomorrow at 6:30 PM. If you are interested please PM or e-mail me. Also if you plan to attend the meeting and are interested in frags let me know, personally I have a small variety that are ready for good homes.

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Hello Stoney Reef and trung, I am wondering why you are trashing the Rochester Club? Patric, you were part of RMAC at one time and left for a variety of reasons. I have had a continuing relationship with you through frags and the kalk reactor. I am not familiar with you trung, I know you posted in the RMAC forum when we first started it but after that I have heard nothing from you.

I would be happy to talke to either or both of you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Michael, my post was meant as a joke even though it didn't have any smilies (athough the beer was meant to be a substitute for a smilie). I'm not fond of politics and politicians. We have way enough of that in the real world already and don't need any more in our pseudo world of reefkeeping. I've only heard a little about the Rochester Club from Patrick and so I can't really say anything good or bad about the club. I only stated facts in my posts about the Rochester Club so far (for example, it's very small and I'm not a member).

I'll try to go to one of the meetings and experience it first-hand before I trash the club :)

I have soccer 'til 8pm tomorrow so I probably can't go to that meeting (depends on how long the meetings usually last). Have any of the Rochester club members ever been to a TCMAS meeting? I'd recommend you go to one. The people are really great and meetings are informal (which is why I like it). Although Scott sometimes claims he's the president, I don't see him as a politician at all.

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
I am happy to hear you have an open mind. As for as beer and such it has pretty much been up to who ever was hosting. I very much understand the scheduleing conflict. People seem to drift off enjoying the summer and then come back in the fall and winter. Something about being trapped indoors.

As far as TCMAS meeting I have made it to one some time ago. It was at Dirk's. It is a long haul up to the cities, about a hour and fourty five min for me to the south sid of the cities. Where are they usually held? Do you attend? Is there a car pool or anything from Rochester?

On a completely differant note. Having nothing to do with any clubs or any other people I would love to hear more about your setup. I would be happy to trade coral, or just give you some frags if they are a good fit.

I hope to see you around,

·
Registered
63 Posts
The meetings are usually at somebody's house. Send an email to [email protected] and Scott will send you the next meeting info. This month meeting is later this week. I tried to go to as many meetings as my schedule allows. So far I have been lucky to able to go to all of them. It's very interesting to see the different setups that people have. All the hosts so far have been great!

Regarding car pooling, we talked about that but people's schedules are so hectic that we usually end up going separately. We may be able to work something out (via PM or phone) like meeting at my place and drive there together if I don't have to go there early to do some shopping (like when my wife is coming along).

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
the TCMAS is a nice place to meet and visit with people :)
having only been to one meeting I can not say either way if it is good or bad, but it seemed like it was a good group of peoples :)
the drive is a killer for me...lol .... hour+ depending on where its at.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with you JNS!!!! I really enjoy the TCMAS meetings! People are a great help generous, and it does not matter what level you are, they are always there for you!!! I look forward to TCMAS meetings every month!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the beer :)

But seriously, it doesn't matter what organization/club/whatever it is, it's the people that makes all the difference.

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
Fish club? Is that what TCMA is? I thought we got together to drink beer! Now that you mention it I guess there have always been fish tanks at the meetings!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts