The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
looking to start a nano tank and doing a lot of reading. What it comes down to as far as I see is this: don't use any filtration medium beside LR and LS. Don't go cheap in those purchase as they are your filter. Only equipment is pretty much a heater and powerhead. Cycle your tank, be patient and research before adding your critters. Don't overstock and don't neglect your water change.
Now here come my questions.
1) lighting, for such a small tank what would you recommend?
2) water, water quality where I live sucks, without having to buy a water purifier what can I do, do I use bottle water? Spring, drinking?
3) Heat, I live in San Diego where we have scorching summer, in such a small tank daytime to nightime water temperature will vary, what can I do to regulate that, on a larger tank I might consider fans but I'm worried about excessive evaporation on a tank that size.

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
384 Posts
you didn't say how big the tank is!

some people go with MH, but few, the majority use PC lighting, and the amount depends on what you plan to keep

I"m up in ND, so I can't really comment on the heat issue, but if you're in SD, then you might not even need a heater...a CHILLER perhaps, and I don't think it's possible to go cheap on LR!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm still learning too, but here's some info I've gleaned from the boards and my own experience recently:

For lighting a 10 - 20g tank check out this thread. latazyo and c_k made some good recommendations for me there... I ended up with the 50/50 Coralife. It arrived yesterday and so far I like it. Built in fans, stays cool. Of course... it really depends on what you plan to keep in the tank.

I don't think outside weather is as important as knowing what the conditions will be like in the room where you plan to keep your tank. Do you run AC etc? I'm currently keeping my 10g in a room that usually stays around 74 - 76F, so I have a heater in it for safety and it only kicks on every once in a while. Chillers seem like a big investment for a nano... I think a light setup that exposes your entire surface area to the air will help keep things cool. You can use a powerhead to break the surface just a bit as well.

A lot of folks around here seem to use inexpensive water filters from the local hardware store etc. to make their RO... you might look into that if your water quality is really poor. I keep a 5gal bucket of water handy and add dechlorinator to it... by the time I get around to using the water it has had time to sit for a few days at least... I do the same when I mix up saltwater.

·
Registered
384 Posts
QuAcKeR said:

A lot of folks around here seem to use inexpensive water filters from the local hardware store etc. to make their RO... you might look into that if your water quality is really poor.
please provide more info into this

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
To me a stable temp is important. A little high, a little low, or just right is all acceptable as long as it's stable.

A fan for evaporation cooling, a good quality electonic heater to maintain stable temp, and if evaporation becomes a problem some type of auto topoff system.

Some people drip kalk for topoff and others use some type of float switch and resevior for topoff.

Reading many different posts on float switches here is a link to one that many people seem to be using

Float switch link

I have not used this one before but after lots of reasearch it is the one I would purchase if I had this problem.

Please note: this solution (for temp control) is a little more than half of what an ice-probe chiller w/ controller would cost and you get a topoff as an added benifit.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If you purchase water from a LFS or a Grocery store please be carefull not all water is as good as it's labeled. We have been doing some tests arounf the Atlanta area w/ a TDS meter (Total Disolved Solids).

COmming from your own personal RO unit you would strive for less than 5.

Taps in the Atlanta area average around 45-65 which is really good for a large metropolitian area.

LFS RO/DI we tested recently came out around 30 (If I remember correctly) and Grocery RO/DI water came out around 40.

Just cause you think it's good water doesn't mean it is. If possible take a sample to somebody who has a TDS meter to check the quality.

Also note: You can purchase TDS meters on E-bay for around $20.00 that way you could always test your water source when buying water.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to all

Sorry for not replying faster but work is crazy as usual. I am looking at a tank around 15 gal. It is good to see so many people willing to give up their time to give some advice, thank you.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Re: thanks to all

marccracco said:
Sorry for not replying faster but work is crazy as usual. I am looking at a tank around 15 gal. It is good to see so many people willing to give up their time to give some advice, thank you.
Thats what this forum is all about. Helping others who have a small tank.

SMALL TANKS RULE :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts