The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm nowhere ready to put in fish yet into my 38 gallon fowlr, but i was just wondering what different species are i can put together in the same tank. i am not looking for aggressive fish, mostly just cool looking fish

·
Registered
852 Posts
How about a flame angel and a couple of percs? If you have a sandbed and a refugium you could probably add a yellow wrasse and something else. Would make a colorful crew that should get along if the angel is added last.

My 0.02 cents

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
green chromis.. they are cool ,and school together!, cinnamon clowns, saddlesback clowns, coral beauty is another dwarf angel, looks nice like the flame angel.

just.....don't.......get.......damsels :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would go with the chromis and your favorite clown. Because they are very hardy plus very amusing and entertain to watch. Don't put anything more expensive in yet like flame angle. I'd rather the tank is fully functional correctly. Then you can add expensive fish.
It really adds up... believe me.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Just be sure for most wrasses and hawkfish, it is best to have a cover on the tank. They can be jumpers......

Not always easy to find locally, Solar (Cirrhilabrus solorensis)wrasse are one of my favorites. A buddy has one with a real good personality. I have been on the lookout for one for quite a while.

Here is a link:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=369

·
Registered
80 Posts
only suicidal fish I've had (jumpers) were cinnamon clowns. Great fish, But I'm afraid I have to find a new home for mine, one has become VERY territorial. And needs to go.

I have some blue chromioms, Gorgious fish, as well as a nice Dragon Sandsifter, now that is a really nice looking fish. (if you like alien ugly fish heheh)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am going to continue the "I agrees". Mostly just because I feel like moving in from the sidelines. I love my green chromis. I was shocked at how much color they had once I added an actinic light. They find all kinds of fun hiding places in the tank, and they go crazy during feeding.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
lol yeah chromis are awesome to watch them eat. and youre right about the colors, mine go from blue to green to white to pruple, depending on the way lights hit them.

solsi...small trigger...for a non aggrsive community tank?!?!

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Banggai Cardinals! Great little fish, totally ignore other fish and vice versa. And most often out in the open. :)

Of course, I'm biased. :)

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
mkurgan,

Mailorder isn't always as good as it seems on paper. IMO: I would only MO is getting say 5+ items to help offset the shipping costs. When dealing with fish adding so many at a time is not wise.

Also, be wise with what fish your MO. Don't mailorder things that are readily available in your area especially ones that are only a few $ cheaper. Only concentrate on the more difficult to find or fish that are say 3 times cheaper than your LFS.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with David. If you can find what you want at a reasonable price, I'd get it at the lfs. Shipping is risky. Also you can make sure the fish is healthy and eating at the store.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i started out with a TR perc, they are hardy and a good fish to start out as, but get one fish at a time, not like two or three, get a perc then if hes acting fine, then maybe a fish a week or two after.

Have fun!

Brandon

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ordering fish on line or getting from an LFS is a very variable subject.

If you have a good LFS, please surport it. If there is not a good LFS in your area; buy on line like many others.

You are in the Chicago area. I have to believe there is a good LFS there. Others from that area chim in about the stores.

On the Flame angel - a bad choice for a newly set up tank. They seem to do much better in mature tanks. That's if you can get a healthy one to start with.

Good fish for a 38G: Some of the Dottybacks, Some of the Clowns, Yellow tail Blue Damsels, Some of the fairy & filament wrasse, Some of the Cardinals, Some of the Gobys or blennies. Interest combo like a Shrimp and goby pair. Or 2 or 3 jawfish.

Ray

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.