The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, what would be a good coral to start out with? My tank is 20 gallons and has been up for about a month and a half and I currently have 1 Scooter Dragonette, 2 Firefish, 2 Emerald Crabs, 1 Coral Banded Shrimp, and 4 Dwarf Blue-Leg Hermits living in it. I want to add something to give it some color in about 4 or 5 months and I would like to know what is relatively easy to keep? I like star polyps but I wasn't sure if they are easy to keep. Everything I have read says they are but I wanted someone else's opinion too. Thanks!

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
right now, only keep soft corals, Xenia, Star Polyps, Zoanthids (Toxic), Mushrooms, Leathers (Any) that sorta thing & nothing Non-Photosynthetic.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
sun corals are non-photosynthetic ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Star polyps are an excellent choice! Hardy, nice to look at, reproduce easily.

I have a special affinity for leather/toadstool corals. It was the first soft coral I ever purchased and I kept it for years and years until I moved. It grew nicely and even split at one point. They seem nearly bulletproof. Plus the thing was beautiful.

Personally, I would stay away from xenia until you have a bit more experience (and perhaps a larger tank).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. I am planning on buying a 30 or 55 gallon tank sometime soon so I have more room for fish and inverts. I want too many for my 20 gallon tank.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Neon-green candycane (LPS) was one of the best and easiest corals for me. GSP, white Xenia, anthelia (big), green hairy mushroom (big), yellow polyps (keep them away from everything), and if you have a lot of light - bright red mushrooms.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I will be in Kansas City, KS from 10/31 - 11/01

I have these for sale.
Let me know what you want and I'll bring it down with me.

1" Orange Montipora Digitata Coral - $20.00
1 1/2" Neon Pineapple Tree Coral - $20.00 (unmounted)
4 polyps - AOG Zoanthid - $50.00
7 polyps - Orange Delight Zoanthid - $20.00
5 polyps - Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthid $5.00
1 stalk - Pulsing Pink Xenia - $5.00
1 stalk - Pom Pom Xenia - $5.00
10+ stalks - Candy Cane Coral - $10.00 It's covered in algae and I just want to get rid of it.
1" - Kenya Tree Coral - $10.00
2 1/2" Ultra Crocea Clam - $50.00

·
Registered
132 Posts
What local reef stores you guys recommend I should check out while I'm down there that's near Kansas City?

·
Registered
132 Posts
What kind of lighting do you have and how long has your tank been running?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have PC's right now but I am buying a 4 bulb T5 fixture from a lady in Kansas City. The tank has been up for about 3 months.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll pm you my address when I'm down there. If you want anything else let me know before 10/29

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts