The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Currently cycling my 14 gallon Bio-Cube. I've been cycling for about a week now. I noticed two little things that look like starfish that are cruising on my live rock. they are tiny little things. Their coloring from the top is white on the outer edges and a browish/green color in a star shape. They don't seem to be wary of the tank lights being on. Thoughts? Opinions? Good? Bad? Is a tactical surgical strike needed? I hope not!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thank for the reply,
I can't post a photo from my home computer, don't have the hardware. BUT!! I will try a better decription: It's actually so small it's like a circle shape. It's diameter is like the head of a pencil eraser. It looks like a seven pointed star on its back. The other one is the same size and color. It has more deffinitive legs to it. White color around the outside, and a brownish color for the star. Just seems happy moving very slowly on my live rock.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, Thanks for the thoughts guys! I appreciate it! Haven't seen either one move onto the glass yet. Hopefully they're helpful critters. I'll let them be. On a seperate note: I did discover a nasty evil brown anenome on one of my live rocks and pulled the one rock out quick. Haven't seen any other of those nasty anenomes on the other rocks. Hope that was the one and only of those things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
whta those were anenomes were caled aptasia they actually are really really tuf to get rid of tho only thing that works to kill them in my exp is a product caled aptasia X and i promiss youl see more of the bec they can have like 70 babies aday and when you scare them they shoot out all the eggs. youl just see them pop up places time to time. o and keep your lights off when you dont have notin i yet bec youll get masive hair alge, trust meh

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great, thanks for the good news! ARGH!!!! Ah well, we'll see what happens with the nasty evil ugly anenomes. I read peppermint shrimp work pretty well on them. If I do have to use the product you suggested: I hope it won't hurt anything else in the tank. Please let me know. Also, I keep the lights off in the daytime, only on a couple hours at night just to check things out.. Thanks for the tips, even the ones I am sad to hear about. it's all about learning.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Get rid of those anemones with kalk paste! Search it up on here and you'll get plenty of results. The starfish are most likely asterina stars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great, thanks for the good news! ARGH!!!! Ah well, we'll see what happens with the nasty evil ugly anenomes. I read peppermint shrimp work pretty well on them. If I do have to use the product you suggested: I hope it won't hurt anything else in the tank. Please let me know. Also, I keep the lights off in the daytime, only on a couple hours at night just to check things out.. Thanks for the tips, even the ones I am sad to hear about. it's all about learning.
no its completly reef safe. look at some vids on youtube and ull see what im talking about and its caled aptasiaX

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kalk paste: Oh my, sounds like work! :( I'll check it out. I hear those ^%$# #!!%anenomes can breed like that Star Trek episode about the tribbles!!! :( And why must they be so unattractive??
I hear it's hit and miss with the peppermint shrimp. Seems a lot easier and fun to watch the shrimp then to mess with chemical, etc.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Yea I wouldn't rely on shrimp. Kalk paste isn't especially because your tanks new so you don't have to worry about the pH killing anything from the kalk paste.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not too worried about peppermint shrimp going after corals. I plan on just keeping live rock and a couple of fish. My stock lighting won't support fancy corals. At most, I hear I could maybe get away with mushroom coral, but that's about it. I'd much rather go through a natural way to get rid of anything bad in the tank as opposed to chemicals. But, I will for sure go the chemical route if need be. I am digging this website's forum area, everyone is pretty cool. Thanks guys, Cheers!

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Not too worried about peppermint shrimp going after corals. I plan on just keeping live rock and a couple of fish. My stock lighting won't support fancy corals. At most, I hear I could maybe get away with mushroom coral, but that's about it. I'd much rather go through a natural way to get rid of anything bad in the tank as opposed to chemicals. But, I will for sure go the chemical route if need be. I am digging this website's forum area, everyone is pretty cool. Thanks guys, Cheers!
Thanks for the compliment, I find everyone here very nice as well :D
The problem with peppermint shrimp is most of the time they don't fully kill off all of the aptasia and they come back quickly and get out of hand. Kalk paste is surprisingly easy to make.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kalk paste, "Surprisingly easy to make" ?? I had no idea this hobby was going to turn into a science/baking class! :)
Lord help me, I think I need another shot of rum and a Corona.
Will harsh language kill the evil anenome? How about talk radio? That's sure to kill them. What about blinking Chrismas lights? Perhaps playing a Celine Dion CD will make them go away.
It's all good, I have hope, I will make my tank a success!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts