The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never actually seen a starfire glass tank before and im wondering if its really worth it or if any of you out there have one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
starfire

IMHO if You can afford it go for it.I don`t personally have one but have seen them and they are super clear.I guess You could compare it to a regular tv and HD.Mind You this is My opinion.My next tank will be a starfire glass one.

·
11,345 Posts
Depends if you have money and/or love to take pics and/or videos!

I am going to violate George here and steal his secret to megaposting

I AGREE :D

I recently paid thousands for a custom tank...I had it done in 1" acrylic because the same tank I really wanted in starphire was all but double. I will have one someday if my getaway driver does his job

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I will have one someday if my getaway driver does his job
:lol: It's going to be a little hard to stick a starfire tank in your pocket and run out of the LFS with it.

IMHO it doesn't make sense to get starfire unless the glass it real thick. There are also manufacturers of low lead glass that may be cheaper than starfire.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yes you can tell a difference and if you can afford to get one I think it is worth it!
We have two 34g Solana with the starfire glass. Got one in a trade and the other I got for a great deal (store display in great condition) $300.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Starfire is worth it if you can afford it.

my biggest gripe again acrylic is its diffraction gradient. far to high for my tastes. yes it is clearer than normal glass, but if you are just a little off angle, headache alert.

G~

·
11,345 Posts
it's still glass and I say why not get an acrylic tank that is clear, light weight and you can drill with ease. JMHO
two words can sum up why I want starfire over my acrylics

razorblade + coralline :)

Starfire is worth it if you can afford it.

my biggest gripe again acrylic is its diffraction gradient. far to high for my tastes. yes it is clearer than normal glass, but if you are just a little off angle, headache alert.

G~
I dont have that in my acrylics unless youre head is right next to the panel looking all but sideways, which is no different than glass. The camera lens doesnt agree though, and I do need to be looking straight through if I am going for a really good macro

:lol: It's going to be a little hard to stick a starfire tank in your pocket and run out of the LFS with it.

quote]

I wouldnt steal my custom order starfire from a builder nor a lfs............I would be robbing a bank or jewelry store of course. I do have morals ...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
exactly, i cant deal with the stress of worrying about scratching acrylic! worrying about my parameters is enough for me

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
It is more noticeable the thicker the glass. At 3/8" I could barely tell a difference, but at 1/2" it becomes quite visible;)

·
11,345 Posts
It is more noticeable the thicker the glass. At 3/8" I could barely tell a difference, but at 1/2" it becomes quite visible;)
I dont understand this post :)

what becomes quite visible?? Ive never had 1/2" glass..in fact I dont think I have ever even had 3/8. Ive had a few 80's in glass,but Im pretty sure those were 1/4's but what I do recall for sure, is scraping the coralline off of them with a razor blade was SWEET :D

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I dont understand this post :)

what becomes quite visible?? Ive never had 1/2" glass..in fact I dont think I have ever even had 3/8. Ive had a few 80's in glass,but Im pretty sure those were 1/4's but what I do recall for sure, is scraping the coralline off of them with a razor blade was SWEET :D
Well at 3/8" I really couldn't tell a difference in the test swatch I received against my 125 that was set up... Now I think my 190 is 5/16" with low iron front and I still can barely tell the difference. But when I was in Ft. Collins dropping off my acrylic tank, they had a big tank near 500 gallons made with 1/2 thick glass and you could tell a huge difference between the viewing panes and the function side with the overflows and returns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts