The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
p_80438.jpg

Thinking about getting a star fish. My tank is only 25 gallon and I allready have two clowns an anemone and a clam. Should I even be concidering a star fish? If so are there any that would be comfortable in my system? The tank is well established with lots of little critters popping up everywhere all the time. The only coral I have are almost all zoa's. I little Zena forest and some green star polops. I would like some thing reef safe but that will not grow to big for my little tank.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Did you have a particular type of sea star in mind? Serpent stars are pretty hardy. You might want to avoid brittle stars, some can become predatory.

No chocolate chip stars - they eat corals (but they are bulletproof). A sand sifting star may not have enough grazing room in your tank.

Linckias might do OK but they are extremely sensitive to changes in pH and specific gravity so in a small tank they often fail.

Red fromias are sized right but they too are very sensitive to changes in pH and specific gravity. How long has your tank been up and running?

Jenn

·
Banned
316 Posts
A 25 is really too small for any true star. Even though Fromia are small, they still need lots of grazing room. Serpent and brittle stars would be fine if you feed them meaty food on occasion.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank has been running for almost a year. i was thinking along the lines of a Marble Sea Star.

.http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2133&N=0

They seamed not to get to large and might take to eating suplemental food. The changing in water paramiters are what is worring me. I loose about a gallon of water a day due to evaporation. Not sure what that adds up to in salinity diffrence but I don't really want to risk it.

I haven't read much about brittle stars. Will they bother the clam or any of the coral? And how preditoral will they become if they are fed almost every day?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Hey Smelly Mod! Can you get any tanigi tangs of white line tangs(?) right now and how much for little ones?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts