The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks for the input on my design guys. I built the sump components yesterday, went to star aquatics and got some small pieces of LR and 2 bulk heads for the new sump.

This morning I tore out the old, did a water change in the process, and now the new is in and I couldnt be happier!

Here is an old sump pic:

And now the new setup. Some said no baffles, some said use baffles, I made these ones removable! Now cleaning in there will be a snap.

Left side - Where the skimmer will be. Right now it has the rock from the old refugium and 2 pieces of rubble. One peice has a apnasia on it..maybe, it has to open up yet...maybe a free coral.
The other peice has some sort of crab in it. I can see it moving, but it hasnt come out yet....Expect An ID thread when he does!

Right side: Refugium in back, return in front.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
looks good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Question, what is the purpose of the light and the bank of computer fans? I just noticed that and am wondering what the function is. Also as a general question when you run drain lines under the water level of a sump where do you put your mechanical filtration? Does it go between some of the baffles? Great job on the design and assembly, well done!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question, what is the purpose of the light and the bank of computer fans? I just noticed that and am wondering what the function is. Also as a general question when you run drain lines under the water level of a sump where do you put your mechanical filtration? Does it go between some of the baffles? Great job on the design and assembly, well done!
Good questions!
The light is for the macro to grow and the fans are for evaporative cooling.
I have a primary drain under water so that I can run a siphon drain (silent). I also have an emergency drain that exits above the water line that I
Occasionally run a sock on. I just valve off my primary and force the water to use the emergency drain.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I like the removable slots, thats sweet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts