The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience repairing water damage like this on a stand. The base is particle board did not like being exposed to water. My fault, I should have dried it off. I am thinking about sanding it with a dremmel and then repainting it. It won't be perfect, but at least it is on the bottom.

Of course, I can't find a 32" tall stand for a 72 gallon bow front.

On another subject, does anyone have any experience with rugs under their aquariums? I want to preserve our carpet. What does everyone have their stands resting on?

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
my tank is on carpet and I don't think that it is ideal. I wish i had it on a hard floor. I put some shims in the front bottom to make it completely level and also have a strap from the stand to a beam in the wall behind the stand.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
My tank is on a hardwood floor, on "magic sliders" (not for the sliding, but for the small, stable offset) with a rubber- backed ikea rug underneath. I keep several shamwows close at hand, as the capillary action will draw water from spills. Also I do not look under the rug, because I don't want to know.

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
i hope the hole stand is not made of the partical board. i had a 20 gallon on a partical board stand a few years back and the stand failed while i was gone i came home to a mess and my fish (fw) were gone cats had got them.
it's not hard to make a stand out of 2 x 4 's and a piece of plywood i made a cool one years ago for a 75 gallon and got so many complments on it . good luck with it

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
There is no repairing Particle board, You might sand a little and put a thick poly coat on it to keep moisture content out. Agree patfromnc, explore a new stand. stand 001.jpg Her is a custom stand I did from 2x4 and 3/4 Ply, holding my 100 gal frag tank.

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
treasure you did a great job there so mush better then anything you can find out there , great tank too

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
wow. i think that stands bigger then my whole bedroom lol. i think best needs to have you make them one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts