The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all! I don’t see the Captain up and about yet so here goes.

Coffee and a banana for me then off to the bakery to get some pizza dough. I think we are making homemade pizzas later.

As for the title, I was reading an article and today is Jimmy Page’s birthday and it popped in my head.

Have a GREAT day.

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Top of the morning Rick, and to all our Friends willing to admit they know us......HAPPY SUNDAY!

Coffee and a banana for me then off to the bakery to get some pizza dough. I think we are making homemade pizzas later.
THAT sounds interesting....bloody ambitious, but intriguing. I'm a 'lazy pizza maker'.....I 'MAKE' the drive or the call to get one prefabricated. 😁 Nah actually we use to do it pretty often, but the 'hamburger roll' based pizza for a quick n simple 'child's help with a meal project'.

Coffee is racing through the system, and something to eat will be down the road a bit yet. Nothing cued up for us today......so lordy look out!

Warmish and RAIN today bringing fridgit temperatures behind it come the rest of the week.

Looking forward to hearing of grooviness from All today,
Hack

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got rid of the cold last night. It jumped from 9F to 36F over night and started raining. 40F for a high and more rain but like you cold again through the week.

There is a great Italian bakery here in town. We usually get the dough and roll it out. After several failed attempts to throw it up in the air and catch it I’ll mash mine into something kinda like a circle and pile stuff on top. I am sure the dogs will eat pretty well with all the stuff that is gonna end up on the floor.

·
Super Moderator
27,696 Posts
Good mawnin’, Rick, Hack, and all of TRT!

Good wake-up call for us today. Coffee and nanners great starters. I’m offering Cream of Wheat and loaded oatmeat for the table.
Thanks for the reminder of Jimmy Page today.
Mmmmmm. The thought of an Italian bakery near by….

Hack - Have fun as you go out and about in search of a family breakfast. Of. Course you’ll have a groovy time!

As for pizza - these days I tend to start making my own pizza by using whole-grain naan and add whatever goodies I have available to it. If I were going out, I would probably get thin crispy. But maybe not. Ha ha Ha

Below is a photo of the ratatouille Bobbi and I made yesterday. I goofed up on our timing for yesterday and so we just cooked it on the stove top rather than the crockpot

Food Tableware Stew Ingredient Recipe

Lots of love and hugs and peace to everyone!

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Looks right worthy for a cold winter's day offering Cath.....GOOD JOB!

There's a 'swanky' Pizza joint near us, Carlucci's, and was made even more famous by that blond haired, backward sun glass wearing eat ANYTHING and say it' the best TV traveling food critic. Of course I don't know his name....just some 'Guy'. 😁

Any way we went there once, and I'm use to ordering a PIZZA.....Not 'what kind' of pizza other than for toppings. Was a little overwhelmed, or confused, or I just don't know what.....but have always heard of 'NY style' pizza, so figured THAT was a pizza. Got it with sausage,m mushrooms and onions.......when it got to our table we all LOOKED AT IT and then each other......poked it a few times....sniffed it.....looked at each other a few more times and tasted it. It was an undercooked, oily, THIN thing setting on a round metal tray. I very gentlemanly found an excuse to bend down and pick up my napkin and promptly had it fall from my mouth. My Family, after the initial 'what the heck is THAT' reaction, enjoyed it and wanted to go back.....I said I'd be more than happy to.....DROP YOU OFF!

Evidently I don't like a 'NY STYLE' pizza. I had another from there at a Friend's house, a different 'style' pizza, and didn't spit it out. BUT NOT as good as that 'Guy' said it was.
Hack

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the Chicago style deep dish pizza. I wasn’t as big a fan of the NY pizza either Hack. DEEP cheeses and toppings on a thick crust - that way I can heat the left overs on the BBQ. Oh man is that good - stays soft and gooey but the bottom of the crust gets a very satisfying crunch to it. I’ve ordered pizza the day before and put it straight I n the fridge so we can go directly to leftovers on the BBQ the next day.

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Never thought of THAT or tried it.....NICE!

I guess I'm a 'South Jersey' style pizza guy.Family.....relatively thinnish crust, light on sauce, fair level of cheese, and a single layer of toppings. I prefer mine on the ever so slightly 'over cooked' side so there's evidence of the cheese being cooked not just melted.

I can see this turning into a FOOD THREAD easily today....

HOT DOGS are another perfect example of 'having a preference'.....but a little latter, need to get breakfast in the rear view mirror first.
Hack

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hot dogs. Usually only at the races if they are out of sausage. Mustard and onions. Never ketchup.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Morning all,,

All this food talk is making my stomach grumble to remind me to follow up my morning coffee with some grub. Will address that after my morning visit with the boids

Hit the pillow later than usual last nite, so that messed up with my wake up time, the whole day will be goofed up timeline-wise now , sigh.

After the freezing rain/ice last night making travel treacherous, temps rose overnite to lose some of the ice , but temps will be dropping during the day into the low teens. . Just means what might be “wet” now will go icy slick in time.

Have a few things rattling in my brain for busywork today, will see what falls out and go from there .

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!👍🏼

Reactions: Tinsnips and cath

·
Administrator
47,668 Posts
Good Morning, it is 27F and frosty but heading to 53 later sun will be visible. Coffee is on, I can throw bananas into mix for breakfast, prolly supplement with offerings at work later. I like Caths idea of naan crust with custom toppings.I like the Mediteranean veggie add chicken that papa Murphy makes but they are huge, more than the 2 of us can finish at one sitting.
Off to work in few, start my work week off again. Car is froste up so thawing it, dang gas hit $4.25 here, I miss my little Hyundai, about 16 more mpg than my Tand C touring van gets.
Anyway I trust that you will find something fun to do, Hopefully weather goes easy on you all

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
OK,you did it.....FOOD THREAD!

Hot dogs......One of my all time favorites! Opinionated....yeah.....Preferences....not sure.....GOOD vs BAD....NO!

Guess that's as clear as a stirred up section of a muddy river.

I've discovered the secrete ingredients that makes a hot dog, a GREAT HOT DOG that you will certainly NEVER EVER FORGET!

A run of the mill 'Wiener' or an All Beef Frank......$1.00 or a $10.00 hot dog....To be a truly great, memory worthy mouthful, it'll have one secrete ingredient in common......You can't look for it on the label as it's so secrete.....you most certainly can not go out and buy it as a 'name brand', but if you think about it the most delicious, memory forming, spend your life trying to find it again hot dogs have this one thing in common....a GREAT TIME!

I have no 'go-toos' I buy, though there are some I have most often....the 'cheap' ones. The one's that I have tucked away in my mind and heart that will linger there forever I have never gone out and bought and thought as highly of them, or even been able to finish it as that time I filed it away as 'THE BEST' I ever had.

The ones at the concession stand at Birth Grove park in Northfield, NJ in late August, growing up as a kids with a bamboo fishing pole and a dollar in his pocket.....you know they been being steamed since time immortal along with the buns("Here on out known as 'rolls' here in Southern NJ...we don't say buns.") Even with 'Frenche's yellow mustard which I can't stand......They are neck n neck at the top of my list

A hot dog at Nathan's on the Atlantic City boardwalk on a summer's afternoon(grilled) with sauerkraut and a root beer and their brand of 'yellow mustard'. That tall black Gent in a chief's hat with the 'coke bottle glasses' that can toss a hot dog in the air and catch it in an waiting ROLL......I've bought them at the store and cooked myself, and throw them out most the time.....but they are at the top of my list as well.....

THAT hot dog I had over at my Friends house back in the 80's with skin soooo tough you needed a knife....all most, bought at a butcher's shop and served on a 'hard roll with NOTHING on it. Once again I've tried over the years, even from the same butcher.....yeah, the dogs loved them......but will forever be at the top of my favorite hot dogs forever.

See what I'm getting at.....the 'secrete ingredient'? A 'GREAT TIME.....FUN.....with WHO'.....you just can't buy that.....and for the most part a 'hot dog' is just something to plug a hole in a grumbling belly....but 'delicious', certainly NOT......but one of my favorite all time most delicious meals....FOREVER!
Heck

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,431 Posts
Good morning all.

Thanks for the coffee.

It’s 72 out now with the high of 75 later .

went to Baton Rouge for mysis shrimp and nori , the LFS said they wondered what happened to me . They had some great fish and corals. I walked out with only what I went there for.

Doug, as far as gas prices and food prices. It’s crazy and probably not going away

I'm applying for my name to be added to the Guinness world records, I've built a puzzle. Box says 3 to 4 years, I did it in a week.

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
I can see the 'clear'....can't quite see the 'cold' Doug? Try a different filter maybe.....SNOW/ICE?
Hack

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Almost forgot.....another one of my favorite hot dogs.....Howard Johnson's travel lodges restaurants. Greasy grilled things on that equally as greasy split top toasted..... :unsure: ,,uhhhhh...'roll'? FANTASTIC! Still fondly drool over the thought from when I was a kid traveling with my Parents down South.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Afternoon all,
Just tossed out $25 worth of rock salt on the driveway , did I not see things thawing/disappearing soon, and looks like darn cold days ahead, with temps dropping 20 degrees during the day.
Had to 4WD creep up the drive to get to the road( to hardware store for salt and “stuff”), so I knew it had to get tended to. Also got my 2nd choice for “pet friendly “ ( first choice woulda been the “pet SAFE” stuff I usually get but kinda slim pickings currently) for the back patio . Also wanted to tend to “slick “before me or the dawgs fall and bust/strain sumpthin’ . Snow I’m ok with, ice on the many levels of walking and travel, not a big fan 😡.

Think the grins and happy dancing of the tow truck and body shop companies have lessened , roads are better and ( while I was not out on them last night) only county and side roads ( remember, my county highway dept. never Googled “road salt” ) are still glazed ice where the sun is not hitting right now.

Had kinda planned on taking Sis’s Deere riding mower to her today, but between the still in spots icy roads and the salt spray from the roads that DID salt them( and the dropping temps all day) pulled the plug on that idea. I’ll be happy with swapping shop spaces with the Deere and the golf cart that went in the pole barn while I was doing the fixin and maintenance on the Deere. $800 worth of ( now a yr old ) batteries🤔 in it, I’d rather help prolong its useful life with it wintering in the shop where the t-stat allows a low of 40’ish there.

Once again, I’ll look the fool riding a Deere mower out to the pole barn( and the golf cart back, which somehow does not seem as “odd”, heheh). But not like I’ll shock any neighbors of stuff I’ve done around here🤔🙄😂 over the years.( plus I obviously don’t care what they think 😛)

Time to go out and watch ice melt, not as intense as watching paint dry, heheh, but will scan the peepers and see how the driveway is doing.

My 2cents on hot dawgs( not the long n low canines, haha) , NO ketchup!, poppy seed bun, onions, brown mustard and cheese is my go -to .
Saw a thing online that air frying hot dogs is something to check out, which I did the other day. A few slices on the dog so it does not “explode” and lightly toasted the buns while I was at it. 🤔, total game changer? Not really , but it was a nice side trip from the norm here( nuking or grilling) .

Carry on TRTrs!👍🏼

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are my kinda people Jeff. Like Dirty Harry said "Nobody, but NOBODY, puts ketchup on a hot dog." My kids all do - it think mostly to annoy me.

Hack - the best hot dog I ever had was in 1977. I was coming out of the bush in Algonquin Park after 2 weeks of a canoe trip and on the last night we were camped near a group heading in. We gave them a bunch of freeze dried meals we weren't going to use and they gave us some packages of weiners they didn't want to carry. I tell ya, that generic weiner jammed on a stick and roasted over a camp fire in the north woods under the stars was the best hot dog I ever had. It was more the time and the place than the quality but I don't think I will ever appreciate one more.

·
Super Moderator
27,696 Posts
Ha! This turned into a pizza and hotdogs read very fast!

I don’t eat hotdogs very often anymore. They’re awesome vegetarian hotdogs but they’re pretty salty. But I can tell you this: never would I put catchup on a hotdog. Never. My preference would be brown mustard and sauerkraut. That’s it.

·
Administrator
17,791 Posts
Yeah I can tell you more about 'WHERE' I was when I had an 'unforgettable' hot dog, than the actual hot dog. With the exception of Nathan's Hot Dogs on the boardwalk, I haven't a clue what the others actually were....or care.

Ketchup belongs on BURGERS! ("STAY TUNED.....we'll do them another day.")

The front room fish room is no longer a front room fish room.......BUT now is a room i the need of a fresh coat of paint before it becomes it's next incarnation......Looking at 1/2 being a front parlor 'sitting - staring out the windows - reading room.....and the other half one HECK OF A WALK IN CLOSET!

WHICH brings us to our next projects in line.

With all our clothing going into a room sized closet, freeing up room in both bedrooms to do 'wall to wall book shelves' in Hack's room where the closet is now.......and.....SPACE in our room for 'whatever Jen can come up with'.

ALL HINGED on me getting my tank out of there and building the fish room down stairs.....THAT being completed the 'urgency' has now slowed down to a 'let's do this n that' pace.

Rains have set in with ernest now.....so what was once snowy white and pretty is now PRETTY UGLY!

Warmed over lasagna is in the over.....well, to be duhhhh, warmed over! Hot rolls to go with it,
Hack

1 - 20 of 31 Posts