The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm starting to acquire a nice collection of corals. I just want to make sure that I'm testing and dosing for everything I should be.

If I'm missing a test kit or two - what brand/kit would you recommend?
If I'm missing an additive or two - what brand/kit would you recommend?

I do not have any dosing or dripping units.

I add Kalk to my RO/DI top off water.
I just started to add Seachem's Reef Builder (per Ed at OD)
I do a 7 gallon WC every week w/Reef Crystals & RO/DI

I currently test for..
Alk
dkh
Ca
Amonia
PH
Salinity
Nitrate
Nitrite

My current coral collection consists of the following...

Green Milli Acro (mtfatwork)
Bali tricolor Acro (mtfatwork)
Unknown tricolor Acro (mtfatwork)
Pavona (mtfatwork)
Pink Montipora Digitata (mtfatwork)
Orange/brown Zoanthids (mtfatwork)
Ultra purple Formosa (Graham)
Purple plating Monti w/bright purple polyps (Graham)
Frogspawn (Graham)
Green plating Monti w/purple polyps (Graham)
Multicolored teal Acro (Graham)
Purple tip Stag (Graham)
True blue Zoanthids (Graham)
Granulosa Acro (Graham)
Yellow Turbinaria (Graham)

Hot pink Milli (Clownnut) - P/U tonight 08/17
Yellow Milli (Clownnut) - P/U tonight 08/17

Plus an unknown premiun frag pack from Troy (Stuckey_T) P/U tonight 08/17...It's just like Xmas :funny: :funny: .

Thanks again,
Dave

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Alk, CA & Magnesium are the only test I do using Salifert test kits.

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate generally don't need to be tested unless you are cycling or you have a power outage, high temps or some other reason for concern.

Phosphates/Nitrates I don't specifically test for. It is more of an observation of the tank. If you have no algae issues generally the should be fine.

PH, I don't regularly test but it you do I highly suggest a PH monitor. Test kits are just too hard to get a precise reading plus time of day is crucial when doing the test manually.

Salinity, providing you have an automated top off, Generally don't need to test. I usually just test the new saltwater before adding using a refractometer. Whatever you use be sure it has been calibrated. Swing arms are convient but also can be way off. Only on an occasion will I test the show tank itself.

I don't use any additives outside of to maintain CA,Alk, or Magnesium. Everything else is just via water changes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David Grigor said:
Alk, CA & Magnesium are the only test I do using Salifert test kits.

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate generally don't need to be tested unless you are cycling or you have a power outage, high temps or some other reason for concern.

Phosphates/Nitrates I don't specifically test for. It is more of an observation of the tank. If you have no algae issues generally the should be fine.

PH, I don't regularly test but it you do I highly suggest a PH monitor. Test kits are just too hard to get a precise reading plus time of day is crucial when doing the test manually.

Salinity, providing you have an automated top off, Generally don't need to test. I usually just test the new saltwater before adding using a refractometer. Only on an occasion will I test the show tank itself.

I don't use any additives outside of to maintain CA,Alk, or Magnesium. Everything else is just via water changes.
Thanks.

I do have & use a Pinpint PH monitor.
I do the same with my refractometer.

What do you use to, as you mentioned, "maintain" CA, ALK, & MAG? I think I'm covered for the Alk.

Dave

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
used Ca reactor for 6+ years. Since downsizing from the 300g though, I used Seachem Reef Builder/ Reef Advantage / Magnesium manually dosed every twice a week and Kalk for all topoff water. Recently stopped the Seachem ( once it was all gone ) and started the Randy's 2 part homemade recipe ( http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php ). Planning to use dosing pumps for those but now just manually every few days until get the right dosage. Magnesium in the 2 part haven't started using yet still just the Seachem until I run out. The magnesium part of the recipe is more of a wintertimer thing to get stocked up. Stuckyt here locally has been sucessfully using the 2part recipe using dosing pumps and has been well proven to work as an alternative to 2 parts sold commercially.

I'm pretty much done with Ca reactors. While it was very successful, I'm not fond of having a presurized tank in reach of small children and the supressed PH from the additional CO2 in the tank.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Did my scuba tank explosion when you were over aquascaping my tank last January have anything to do with the decision? :jester:

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I actually kind of forgot about that little episode. Now that you mention it, it does make a good argument. Honestly, I was never comfortable with having a couple of CO2 tanks around the house. Likelyhood is probably slim but there is something for peace of mind.....Especially when other alternatives that can be automated are available.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
David Grigor said:
Honestly, I was never comfortable with having a couple of CO2 tanks around the house.
Me neither. Have you ever read about the African lakes that build up high levels of CO2 in their depths, and that occassionally have essentially exploded (basically like giant bottles of seltzer water that have been shaken before opening). I'm not sure how big the explosion part of it was in these cases, but what really made a big impression on me was that when this has happened the surrounding areas have been covered by big blankets of CO2 (that had been released abruptly from the lakes). Apparently livestock and humans just drop in their tracks (and die) when this invisible blanket of CO2 reaches and engulfs them. It has been a while since I read about this (in National Geographic I think), but my recollection is that whole villages have died more or less instantaneously from disasters of this sort. It is the sort of thing to give you nightmares.

I don't know how likely a mishap with a CO2 tank would be to fill a room or a house with CO2, but I certainly have a great respect for the potential dangers of high concentrations of CO2 in the air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts