The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my sps is fine, but 3 of my frags aren't opening all they way, and on some parts of the frag, the polyps aren't out at all. my parameters are fine, i have 2X 175 watt 10k halides, 2X 65 watt blue pc's, and 1 40 watt atinic vho, so lighting is not an issue, and they are up high in the tank. They have a good ammount of flow, but the only problem is nitrates, they have been at the same level for awhile (wont go down), i think its at 25, but every other coral is fine, and growing. What is wrong, what can i do to save them before its too late?

·
Registered
557 Posts
you say all parameters are fine then say nitrates at 25ppm??
alkalinity and ph, even though in an acceptable range, will cause coral to shrivel up if they change dramatically. Also, have you been running carbon? when last time it was changed, did someone spray something around in the house? How old are the lights? they do degrade a bit.
COuld be simply allelopathy, with other corals that has "GROWN" maybe the corals in question are in their space now, where they weren't before the growth and simply competing for space.
should be food for thought, i'm sure more experienced people can add quite a bit. Oh, and you mentioned "frags" how long have they been in the tank, and how did you acclimate them. 25ppm is high for nitrate, i didn't like my fish only that high. Some shrimp/starfish/corals handle nitrate better than others, such as many softies/zoa's seem to prefer to have a little bit of nitrates.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my alkalinity has changed from 7 to 11. and my ph has gone from 8 to 8.3.. the alkalinity change probally did it. I just ran new carbon that was in a closed container, and i added phosphate reductor media, and another type of filter media. Could those have done this. The frags have been in there (2 of them) for 3-4 months, and the other 3-4 weeks. Do you think they will be ok? or are they going to die?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've also been looking for a mangrove, because i heard that they reduce nitrates, and thats what i need the most at the moment. I've had calupera, but it doesn't look good in the tank, so i want to get a mangrove or two, does anyone have one to sell, or know where to get one?

·
Registered
557 Posts
did you rinse the carbon first? I'd think adding the carbon would actually help.
The alkalinity and ph jump, did that coincide with a calcium drop?
If you want to drop your nitrates, get a salt bucket or so, put 2 bulkheads in the top, put sand 3/4 full, put the return pump output on it before going back to your tank..
Those nitrates will fall. and when they start to show again, just disconnect the bucket or empty and refill.
At least, that is one sure fire way to drop nitrates is adding a dsb.. Granted it isn't a longterm solution, have to be able to swap it out.
Just read a thread on here about someones experience with denitrate, as that stuff works, i havent' tried it personally.

·
Registered
264 Posts
robsmith32 said:
did you rinse the carbon first? I'd think adding the carbon would actually help.
The alkalinity and ph jump, did that coincide with a calcium drop?
If you want to drop your nitrates, get a salt bucket or so, put 2 bulkheads in the top, put sand 3/4 full, put the return pump output on it before going back to your tank..
Those nitrates will fall. and when they start to show again, just disconnect the bucket or empty and refill.
At least, that is one sure fire way to drop nitrates is adding a dsb.. Granted it isn't a longterm solution, have to be able to swap it out.
Just read a thread on here about someones experience with denitrate, as that stuff works, i havent' tried it personally.
Rob,

Could you expound on this idea a bit? It had never occurred to me to have a swappable DSB, but it sounds interesting. I don't have a problem with nitrates but they do hover above zero (but below 12-ish) in my tank and would love to stomp out that last bit without having to remove my 3/4" or so sand bed (for aesthetics only).

Do you have to use new sand each time you swap out the bucket or just rinse it completely in RO water?

Thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
well, an ro rinse sounds like it might work, but that would have to be tested.
there was a long thread in what used to be anthony calfo's section over on rc, about "remote DSB".
Basically take a bucket put high flow through it that won't allow the detritus to settle in there. He prefers aragonite because of the added buffering, but isn't a necessity.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well... the problem... nitrates...and the ph and alkalinity boost. The two frags are gone, and the last is ok for now. I got more sand today because i need, and the kind i got says that its proven to reduce nitrates, so it'll help! Tomarrow i'm getting 2-3 mangroves, and i'm determined to kill these nitrates! The whole frag incident is killing me, is there any nice people out there that can offer some montipora frags, or easy to care for sps frags? In about 2 weeks the nitrates should be gone or near 0. Anyone?

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
GeorgeW said:
Rob,

Could you expound on this idea a bit? It had never occurred to me to have a swappable DSB, but it sounds interesting. I don't have a problem with nitrates but they do hover above zero (but below 12-ish) in my tank and would love to stomp out that last bit without having to remove my 3/4" or so sand bed (for aesthetics only).

Do you have to use new sand each time you swap out the bucket or just rinse it completely in RO water?

Thanks.
Check the forums over at marinedepot.com. You should be able to find a thread for a remote dsb or dsb in a bucket. Basically just take a bucket and put 2 bulkheads in it fed by a mag3. Apparently its quite effective at reducing nitrates and if it starts going bad you can replace the sand for $3.

·
Registered
557 Posts
well, the group that came to get stuff didn't take the sand. You're welcome to it, its already in a rubbermaid. all would need is 2 bulkheads, a pump.
I'd run it day in just mixed saltwater and make sure all the majors were 0 before tapping it into the system as it has been thoroughly disturbed.
I can bring it with me to work in alpharetta if you like and just drop it by where you're at Sunday. probably monday morning on way home though..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Go for the chaeto under 24-hour light to help, blow off your rocks with a power head before a water change. Mangroves reduce mag. making it more difficult for your corals to process calcium

1 - 11 of 11 Posts