The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Montipora Capricornus SPS coral frag in my new reef tank, all my levels seem to be doing well, but this frag is noticeably less vivid than it was in the store and the first day. What should I be feeding it? So far, all corals have been filter-feeding very nicely except this one. I am looking into the Kent brand invert feeders at my LFS. Does anyone have any insight into whether it may be dead or how to tell?

Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
If it was dead it would be white and look like live Rock. Are you testing alk and cal? What's your ph? What kind of lighting do you have? How long has it been in the tank? They don't need to be fed. I don't feed my Sps tank and I have good growth. Monti polyps are pretty small and are mostly the same color as the skin so you can't really see them. It should color up a few days after adding to the tank

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
There are several reasons this can happen. Lighting is the number one and is usually due to a couple of reasons.

1. Depending on the lighting at the LFS the coral can look quite different in your tank. They may have more or less blue which can bring out the colors.
  2. They have more or less light than you do. More light at the LFS can result in a darker coral in your tank as it takes on more Zooxanthellae. More light in your tank can bleach a coral due to light shock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well heres the story:

It was in the LFS with pretty matched lighting as mine, even when I turn mine just to blue, I dont see the colors reacting in it any longer. I have had it since Saturday, acclimated it and all. I use the API test kits for KH and Calcium, but Im not used to reading them very well so Im not sure of the exact values, but that the "number of drops" chart and colors meant it was within range or slightly high but still acceptable for SPS and marine tanks.

Lighting is 2 Stunner LED strips Ecoxotic. They are bright enough to support the tank for sure, but I dont do as much of the timing for the dawn/dusk effect. One Blue/White 12,000K and one NMBlue, both 24W.[LED]

It is starting to look much like the live rock it is sitting within...sadly.. within 2 days it looked this way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About a foot from the lighting. The tank is only a month or so old now so its this frag and 3 others, so its got its own plateau location in the center very prominently and never bothered. Plenty of light, but now it looks "bleached."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could try to, my camera doesn't take very optimal pictures because of the lights. It looks as if it almost entirely bleached, the frag is only about 1.5" x 2" and is very flat so its pretty easy to tell the entire thing has changed color. Only a very small area in the center reacts to blue lights now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Answer me this, If I move it lower in the tank, should it show at least a difference within a week or so? How will I begin to see signs or progress or death? Also, does it still need a good flow if not bright light?

Thank You

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The people have spoken, I will try to move it halfway down tonight and see if anything happens. Besides that, my star polyp, kenya tree, and birdsnest seem to be doing just fine where they are with the higher flows.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news, my montipora is already looking like its regaining some color, I stuck the plug in the sand for now so its got OK lighting.

As for a new issue, sorry to highjack my own thread, but ive been reading tons about this and I REALLY trust my new LFS coral farm seller, but he gave me a green BTA with a perc clown baby pair. All looked great for the first 2 days, [got them a week ago] and I have a month and a half old tank with a thriving system of a few fish and corals and algae etc.

Tank params are looking great, going to do a water change this weekend, but my coral is showing peculiar behavior, trust me Ive been reading about it day and night for the past 3 days, SO form what ive gathered, it poops and deflates, it fills with water and deflates, needs great lighting, moderate flow, it moved onto the sand and glass but today is on the glass. Ive never moved it but now it looks like this or mainly deflated the past 2 days except at night [??]

Here are two pictures of it from yesterday and this morning up on the glass. The best looking was at night or just before the lights went out.

Help? I really dont want this to fail and I know now that after what he told me, i do have a YOUNG tank as many others warn...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
here is a good example of a monti come back...

I got this monti frag at the LFS for $2 and they gave me 50% since it looked like it was going to die a week before I got it...

after 3 months in my tank this is what it looks like now...

Needless to say with SPS things can move fast, it can go from great to bad faster then bad to great so keep an eye on your levels and learn. I killed about 5 monti caps before I knew enough to keep them alive, now if I can only keep from killing my other SPS! :doh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts