The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have been dealing with this for a couple weeks but seemed to pick up in the last couple days. Most of my Montipora(caps, ect) have been losing color and turning white. First they lost the white growth around the edge and then they started to turn white in random places. Now, wherever it is white, is now turning brown. I have had these corals for over 8 months with great growth and color until now. I also have birds nest that stopped extending there polyps and started to bleach at the base.

I have swtiched to LEDS about a month ago BUT these the problem started before i made the switch. I also acclimated the leds slowly and still only have them at a peak of 45%. Its also a full spectrum led with Whites,blues,colors. and antinics and a purple plus t5's 288W total.

I also switched tanks from a 65 to a 75, but used about 50 gallons of old water and added new. My old tank was growing like crazy.

I was dosing B-Ionic two part: 25ml of ALK, 25ml of Cal every other day.
Equipment consist of:
25G sump with bubble magnus NAC6, 6 mangroves, small refugium
prestige-led 36" gamma led light
MP10wes
Koralia 750
900gph return

Parameters:
mag 1300
ph 8.0-8.2
phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
cal 390-420
alk 5.3

I know my alk was low, this is one of my conclusions for the problem. this is why i am dosing 50ml alk, and 30ml of calcium every day. i have been doing this for about 4 days hoping to raise the alk.

My lights are 11" off WL and turn on at 7am and go off at 9pm with a peak of 45%. It starts at 5% and slowly amps up and down

Please help as i really don't want to lose my colonies.
And its not letting me add photo's

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,

if it's an advanced issue I can't really offer much help but I want to cover the basics.

You say you moved tanks and kept some old water, but you didn't say anything about rocks, sand, or filters. Water doesn't contain most of the bacteria needed, it's mostly on the rocks and on surfaces like glass and sand, filter lines, inside the filter ... areas of high flow.

You best test for Ammonia just in case you are experiencing a new cycle, IMO.

I would raise alk and not touch calcium, since your magnesium level looks good, but someone else might have a better idea.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I agree with the above poster we need to know what you kept from the last tank and what is new in the current tank besides the lighting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point, sorry about that,
All livestock and rock was transferred over to new tank. I Added everything excluding sand for about 3 weeks and then added 20lbs of CC. I will be added more eventually but not until i fix this issue first.
Sump, skimmer, and plumping is all new except return hose.
I tested ammonia yesterday with a result of 0

·
Registered
287 Posts
Most likely then it's either the age of the tank, something hasn't cycled yet, something we can't test for, or it's the alk swing. I would work on boosting alk slowly over the next few days, making sure Ca and Mag stays stable, and see if things improve. Dose as little as possible to fix the problem, and do it slowly.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well a lot of your beneficial bacteria comes from sand and your sump. I would think its going through some sort of cycle but I'm not 100% sure just a guess.

Since you didn't add the sand right away nor used your exsisting filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts