The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to make a spraybar for my 110 gal. I am going to use a maxi-jet 1200 rated for 295 gph. the bar will be just under four feet long. What diameter pvc should I use? How many holes and what size should I drill in it? Should I use pvc cement to glue it to the powerhead or silicone?:read:
Thanks for any help/ideas!!:) :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That pump is way too small for a spraybar. I would use a larger pump at least 2-3 times the water movement of the mj to get any flow out of multiple outlets. For best performance use an external pump on a closed loop with about 1000gph or more.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I experimented w/ that the other month. 1/2" PVC(the vanilla colored stuff) fits snugly on all of the MJ ph's outputs. You may have to do some light sanding, but not much. I was going to use this on my 55gal cichlid tank, but didn't need it b/c I had enough flow already. Mounted on one of the sides, firing down at a "45", it works! The key is the amount of holes and diameter. I think these holes are 1/16 or even a 1/32"...I can't remember. Either way, play around with it...pvc is dirt cheap. A 110 is bigger than a 55 of course so i'm not sure if this would suit your needs. If it doesn't, you now have a flute.:wavey:

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I like the picture too. I want something that I can put in the back of the tank so the detrius doesn't pile up behind the LR. I figure I can start with just a few really small holes and try it out in the backyard to see what kind of spray I'm getting. You know, stick the pump in a bucket of water and see what comes out of the pvc. I can always keep drilling until it looks good.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can run some calculations to figure it out pretty lickity split if you don't like the trial and error method. Just make sure your area out (through the drilled holes) is less than your area in (into the pipe) and you should see nice spray distribution down the line. But I'm not sure how PHs like back pressure - anyone else with experience on that? Might lead to shortened pump life, but I'm not sure what principle the PHs use to pump.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea, and some interesting thoughts. I never considered the back pressure angle of it. Hmmmm.......

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I waould use a Maxi on each end. To run a spray bar effectively it takes alot of volume. Two maxis will work okay for 4' of bar. make sure that the holes blow not only under the rock but also behind the bar. Nat as many holes are needed for that area but you still need them. Any place where stuff can get behind the bar will gunk up so all around flow is needed. if possible I would maybe consider point a return down along tha back of the tank also. This will enable the spray bar to be used primarily for keeping under the rock clean as the return flow will clean behind the bar. Ive had a couple of spray bar designs and this is from experience!

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Also, the holes closer to each source of flow should be spaced farther apart than those holes that are farther from the source, this forces the water to be more evenly distributed along the spray bar as water will take the path of least resistance (i.e. the closer holes)

Robert

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Robert, that's great advice and thanks for passing along your wisdom of experience. The thought of using a maxi on each end kind of crossed my mind, but what you've sold me on that idea. I will probably work on it later this evening, and I'll certainly post pics of what I come up with.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
As said I would try a couple different patterns with the holes. While the two maxis will work, its is relatively low for a spray bar so placement of the flow it makes is key. Good thing is, detritus doesnt weigh much! Properly placed flow can do wonders!!!!! If you can make so its not glued to the PH's then you can adjust the flow direction in the tank.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I'm thinking about a spraybar for my 30 gal tank, what size PH would I need for a 20 in run of pipe? Would a MJ 600 be adequate? How many holes should be drilled into the PVC and what size holes?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did 37 1/16in holes per powerhead because that equaled the approximate area of the output pipe on the powerhead. I have two MJ 1200s, one on each end. After testing it out in the bathtub, I decided to add some more holes for a total of 85. The length of the pvc running across the bottom of the tank is nearly four feet long. It is not an exact science, try drilling a few and testing it, then drilling some more. I guess it depends on how strong of a spray you want to come out. Mine is strong enough to make the bits of crushed coral wiggle. I imagine it will be strong enough to remove the detrius. spraybar 001resize.jpg

spraybar 003resize.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I got lazy and bought pre-drilled spray bar from Eheim.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Wow didn't know you could do this with powerheads. I glued together most of a CLS and was planning on using something Mag 9ish or so. This is just for a 55.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i do not suggest using less than 1000gph for a spraybar that is 4' long. most people say they have had acceptable results using Mag 12's. i have never been impressed with the PH spraybars i have used i the past. i know use hidden CLS's behind my LR.

G~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts