The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples opinions about having a spray bar across the lower back wall and also having a sand bed of maybe 2". For the most part, I notice that spray bars are used by those having a BB setup. Can a spray bar still be effective in eliminating dead spots if used in a tank with a sand bed. Is there still a way to direct the waterflow of the spray bar behind the rocks without blowing sand all over the place. I prefer the look of a sand bed over BB, but I still would like to have the benefit of the spray bar.

Thanks!

·
11,345 Posts
Geoff said:
it is really difficult to get enough flow behind the LR without blowing the sand all out in front. :(

G~
UNLESS...you lift your rock 3" and porovide free flow underneath....
here are spraybars that come on and off every 15 seconds and spit out up to 1100 gph each when they come on.....
this is a 4" deep sandbed

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Fly Guy, Ive viewed your photo album....I really like the acrylic(?) rods you use and Im stealing your idea on my 37 in the works:thumbup:
Can you give me the details? how did you fix them?

sorry, not hijacking this thread.....

·
11,345 Posts
in that tank its permanent, the seats are weld on'ed to the floor of the tank.........i am now using strips of acrylic making a grid to hold them on the racks i am selling. so it is removable...........just taking a 3/4 bit and drilling it almost thorugh the grid.......the rods just slide in place and can be removed where you dont need them..then take a grinder to make the teeth in the top of the rods.....

WEAR safety glasses and if using a table saw get the right blade for cutting the strips for the grid.......OR at least keep your head out of the saw line :funny:
but seriously, the wrong blade can break teeth and they could go through your head no matter what safety equipment you have on........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that thread Geoff. That it definitely something I would be interested in doing when I set up my new tank. It's a very good solution to providing the advantages of a BB as well as the look of a sand bed. I've often thought about setting up a base similar to the first one that Matt had, with the pvc pipes sticking up. I think his second setup is a much better solution. I assume this could also work with a thicker/higher base, so I could have a sand bed of about 2". So where would I be able to get the polypropelene and how would I cut it? Also, I'm wondering with a setup like this, would it effect my watchman goby and prawn, where they would have limited space to burrow in the sand bed? My new tank will be 125 long. Thanks again for that thread!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you can make it as deep as you like. you can get HDPE anywhere. look for cutting boards. i do not know where Matt got his, but since he is in the UK i do not think it would help to know where. :D

you can glue several pieces on top of each other using 3M's super adhesive 90. it is for polyethelyne.

as for our burrowers. it would limit their choice, but it would also be a huge piece of mind knowing that they will not undermine your LR structure. you could alway place a piece of LR on the sand just to the side of the HDPE structure. the will dig under that along the HDPE.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
ma2525 said:
Geoff, is this the same material that is used for cutting boards?
yes, most plastic cutting boards are made out of HDPE. that slick feeling, slightly bumpy plastic is HDPE.

another thing to try would be to make a form and pour an FSB into the form to make a plateau in any shape you want. it can be extremely complex with a lot less effort than trying to cut up several cutting boards. plus it would be easier to make it thicker.

G~

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Geoff, I remember looking at your FSB thread not too long ago. Can you attach the link to it here? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'm gonna go with Flyguy's method of putting the rods on the HDPE. Does anyone know where to get this stuff relatively cheap. I'm interesed in getting maybe a 1" thick piece so I don't have to stack multiple sheets of thinner pieces. Everywhere I look, this stuff is pretty expensive. Any suggestions?

·
11,345 Posts
3/4 is plenty to hold the rods. 1/2" would actually be enough but you dont want to drill all the way through the cutting board. I paid $58+ shipping from Portplastics.com and the shipping was only like 15 or 18 bucks. That was the cheapest i could find it.

drill the h9oles exactly to 3/4 and wallow them just a smidgen, the rods will nearly fit water tight then.

rods here part #8531K21
http://www.mcmaster.com/

is your tank glass or acrylic?? it will make a difference as i hear you cant throw it in flush with glass becasue of the silicone bead......the glass tanks i have run BB i didnt use starboard so i didnt know that. As well, if you have an acrylci tank with eurobracing you will need to have the entire piece cut in half to fit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My tank will be an acrylic tank. I'm receiving it Friday. It will be a 125 gallon long. Flyguy, I was thinking of using your first example of creating the brackets for the rods to sit in, in which the rods could be removed. So the brackets would be glued to the HDPE. Would it make a difference if I did it this way or by drilling the HDPE, and sitting the rods directly on it?

·
11,345 Posts
It is just cleaner looking and wouoldnt restrict the ability of your spraybars to keep underneath your reef clear of debris quite so much as having a rack to hold them, which is the primary purpose of the spraybars in the first place IMO.

Im not sure why y ou would want to build a obtrusive rack, when it would not only be more restictive to flow as it isnt covered up in a BB tank, less attractive, and it would be more work as well to create than simply drilling the holes in the starboard.
Maybe im not usderstanding what exactly it is you mean however.......

The best thing about using these rods for lifting your rock besides appearance, is they really dont hardly restrict flow at all...........addind bulk to them if you are not going to cover it up with sand defeats one of the benefits to some extent IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Flyguy, when I said "creating brackets", what I meant was creating those same "seats" that you created on the first pictures you showed. The ones where the little seats for the rods are welded onto the acrylic tank itself. I didn't actually mean creating brackets. I wanted to combine your first example with your second example, creating the little rod seats on the HDPE, as opposed to drilling the HDPE and mounting the rods that way. So basically, it would be just like your second example but with the rods mounted on by the method used in your first example. Do you think that would be an OK idea? Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts