The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all....

As many of you know, I am DIY-challenged, but would like to take a stab at putting in a spray bar, run by a powerhead. Does anyone have any plans, directions, advice? Please remember that due to my challenged mind when it comes to these things to follow the KISS laws....

Thanks!!!

Jodi

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Chad....but Jay lost me in a couple of places.......

I need someone to speak slowly, loudly and simply....

Thanks!

Jodi (the pathetically DIY-challenged chick)....

·
Registered
398 Posts
OK,
Jodi, if you want a spray bar like Jay's

Here is your material list

1-5' length of 3/4" PVC
1-3/4" PVC tee
2-3/4" PVC end caps
1-powerhead

take the the 5' pipe and cut it into two pieces each 14" long.

These pieces will slide into the the Tee fitting. The remaining pipe will need to be measured and cut so that the pipe fits in the Tee and you can fit the powerhead on top but still keep the powerhead under the water line.

Next mark the pipe every inch along the length of each of the 14" long pieces. At each mark drill a 1/4" hole using a 1/4" drill bit.

Turn each piece 90 degress and repeat.

An easy way is to follow the printing on the pipe then turn it and use a pencil and the overhang of a kitchen counter to draw the second line.

Now slide the end caps on the ends. Hook up the powerhead and away you go.

I calculated the lengths for your 40 breeder, but considering i have no idea what kind of powerhead your going to use, i cannot give you the third dimension, but 8" is a good overall length to use and still keep the pump under the water level in your tank.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Patrick!!! That was just the kind of instruction I needed....

Jodi

·
Administrator
48,732 Posts
Have you decided on a power head to run it with? IME something along the lines of a HAgen 802(400 gph) or equivilant should work nicely, Good Luck :D

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Doug!

I have a MJ900 and another powerhead (can't remember what kind). Thought I'd try them both and see what works best. I'll keep the Hagen in mind if I'm not satisified with the results from my other powerheads. My biggest concern right now is preventing my DSB from creating a sandstorm....

J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.