The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 12g NC, and have always had a single sponge in the first chamber, to collect extra food or whatnot that may be floating around, then in the second i have LR rubble. my question is, what all do you guys do here, do you run the sponge or not? do you run w/ all LR or none?

i have always washed the sponge once a week w/ every water change.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I tried taking the sponges out and hated the bubbles so I put the two back in the first chanber and have a bag of carbon in the 2nd

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dont have any problems w/ bubbles... i was just thinking of the pros and cons... cons being the high nitrates.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
skilter said:
well i dont have any problems w/ bubbles... i was just thinking of the pros and cons... cons being the high nitrates.
I don't either :) they were horrible though when I pulled all the sponges I just rinse the sponges well each water change and nitrates haven't been a problem

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
The only reason I would personally run any sponges would be for protecting an anemone, nudi, or cuke.

But yes, with proper maintenance they'll just help with your larger particulates.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well something stung me pretty good the other day when i was cleaning it... i dont know what it was, so thats when i thought hmmm, do i really need this thing. because i plan on getting more LR rubble to put in the back, i know it will cycle again because of this, but if thats how i avoid a nitrate factory, so be it.

thanks for the replies ya'll!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have just gotton the new 24g aquapod i really dont like the sponge i have a bunch of live rock down there is that bad my friend suggested it

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I don't have a skimmer so I left one sponge in and took the other out. I rotate the sponges with cleanings. If I had a skimmer I would loose the sponge.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I would keep the sponge. if you remove it the detrius will get caught in the LR area instead and then you will have to remove all the lr to get it out. if you just rinse it out regularly then it will be fine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i have heard all different types of solutions and opinions, and in my opinion remove the sponge, i have seen no issues without it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts