The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 12g NC, and have always had a single sponge in the first chamber, to collect extra food or whatnot that may be floating around, then in the second i have LR rubble. my question is, what all do you guys do here, do you run the sponge or not? do you run w/ all LR or none?

i have always washed the sponge once a week w/ every water change.

·
Premium Member
14,535 Posts
skilter said:
well i dont have any problems w/ bubbles... i was just thinking of the pros and cons... cons being the high nitrates.
I don't either :) they were horrible though when I pulled all the sponges I just rinse the sponges well each water change and nitrates haven't been a problem

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well something stung me pretty good the other day when i was cleaning it... i dont know what it was, so thats when i thought hmmm, do i really need this thing. because i plan on getting more LR rubble to put in the back, i know it will cycle again because of this, but if thats how i avoid a nitrate factory, so be it.

thanks for the replies ya'll!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I don't have a skimmer so I left one sponge in and took the other out. I rotate the sponges with cleanings. If I had a skimmer I would loose the sponge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts