The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this possible or does my second clown have ick, lost the first one last week.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Clowns rarely get ick, but they often get Brooklynella. Hard to tell from the pic but I'd bet it was Brooklynella.

Formalin in a hospital tank is the best way to combat it.

Jenn

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was wrong about the setup time the tank is 5 weeks old, the clown has been in for 6 days now. his partner died 4 days ago, stays close to the bottom loosing color. This just started yesterday afternoon, he has been eating and doing the surfing thing until then. I noticed a color change while feeding them, I have been keeping a close eye on him since his buddy died 4 days ago. I have been giving them fresh water dips and adding a little garlic to the food mix. What else can I go.. My sick tank has 4 blue damsels in it waiting to be moved and is been running for 2 weeks still has a nitrite count.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure, would it make a difference came from PetCo . I have started another thread on whay I plan to do. "Help with Med Tank Rather Trash Can

·
Registered
959 Posts
man I had all kinds of fish including 2 clowns die a few weeks back and my tank is just being setup as well, I think it has to do with the Bacteria battle going on behind the scenes more than it has to do with the amonia, trite,trate and PH that we always test for cause those were spot on in my tank.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i had 2 ich outbreaks since i'v started my tank (almost 2 years) both started with fish bought at petco (gifts) not trying to badmouth them but every time someone got me something from petco, it died. went there twice and saw plenty of dead fish in the tanks and no one working there had much of a clue about salt water fish or tanks. i try to get every thing from lfs that deal in just fish or mostly fish w/ other stuff on the side. just my 2 cents. sorry bout your fish, man, hope the other one makes it.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
when you see things like this, it makes you want to stress the importance of a good QT tank, if you threw these clowns from petco in with a fully stocked reef tank, you would be in trouble. take you time, slow down, 5 weeks isnt really ready for a fish yet, let the tank cycle, for 2 months then maybe get a fish.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have been lucky so far with my fish. I have bought only one fish from petco and its healthy. I did notice a lot of sick fish there tho which I why I only got one and he went into quarantine. I always look at ALL the fish in the tank. If any have ich you can bet they all will. I dont buy if I see any fish with ich in the tank.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
r6413utah said:
Is this possible or does my second clown have ick, lost the first one last week.
I have never heard of a spirobid attaching to a fish. They are harmless filter feeders that you often see attached to tank walls or plumbing. Also .. spirobids tend to be larger than ich.

Your picture is not clear enough to see much of anything.

You mention you lost your last fish but I don't recall you mentioning why? If you lost that fish to ich then the spot your seeing is likely ich ... if the spot your seeing is large and has been on the fish for more than a week in the same location then its likely lympho which is a viral disease (untreatable, usually not fatal, and often goes away on its own if you maintain water quality and feed the fish nutritional food).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
JennM said:
Clowns rarely get ick, but they often get Brooklynella. Hard to tell from the pic but I'd bet it was Brooklynella.Jenn
Clowns get ich all the time and have no special immunity. There is some speculation about why clowns favor brook ... brooklynella spreads by physical contact and some would say that clowns tend to have more physical contact with each other than other fish ... especially at the wholesale/distribution level.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wrote an email to petco, not that it will do any good. Need to let them know about the black ick but I sure many people in tampa who have purcased fish from them over the past few weeks are screaming write now.
I need to take resposability for making the purchase there and take the DUH! D.A. pills and not shop their any more . I did not see any spots on the Tang or on the clown. but should have known when the chromis just kept dying. My Damsels (I know they are hardy) the dottyback, the huma are strong but came from a independant shop (funny how shop owner who need to put food are their table are more in tune with what they are selling then the 5.75 per hour clerk. more then likley I am going to loose them all if I can't get this stand for the 55 built.

I agree a QT tank is the way to go. I am planning to do what I can for the fish.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
r6413utah said:
I wrote an email to petco, not that it will do any good. Need to let them know about the black ick
Not sure where the diagnosis of "black ich" came from ... remember that "black ich" is definitely different than crypto (marine ich) and fortunately is pretty easy to eliminate and not near as harmful/deadly as most salt water diseases.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts