The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on some of the recommendations I saw from others earlier I bought one of refurb SpectraPure 90's... Showed up and looks good. I have a 55 gallon water barrel that i use to make water. Typically start the RO/DI and then add my Reef Crystals to it and have a small power head running to circulate it. Now I have two questions.

1) as the water is being mixed white particulate is floating at the top. The barrel is clean and I flushed the unit per instructions and then did it again to be safe. I have never seen this before. I skimmed it with a net.

Any idea what this might be?

2) Once I'm done making water when i go to store the unit should i empty the water out of it first or is it okay for the water to sit in it for the two weeks before I make another batch?

Thanks all!!!

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Yes, you want to leave water in it. I believe the manual says something about running it for 10 or so minutes if you haven't used it in a while to flush out the old water. Is this the first time mixing it in the barrel? It could be your powerhead wasn't strong enough to mix it, or you didn't leave it long enough to dissolve fully.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Yes I've got it set up inside my stand so it's easy to move hoses around. I'll leave the water in it and as said will flush it before use. Barrel is one i've used to make water for maybe 5 years and the powerheads stir pretty well. I usually add salt about half way into the volume i'm make. Will start adding more toward the end.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
As a point of clarification you should make sure the barrel is nearly full before adding the salt. If you mix the salt before the berrel is full, the concentration of minerals could be too high and cause them to precipitate out.

Once this happens they will never re-disolve.

Whiskey
also adding your salt all at once can cause this as well. adding salt overtime would lessen this if its the cause.

when I mix in my 30g tank I don't get any precip if I add two cups at a time (total 9 cups) about 10 minutes apart, just long enough for the water to clear. i had my buddy add salt one day because i was in a rush, he added all 9 cups at the same time -.- i had to clean out my mixing tank after that batch of water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts