The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My refurb SpectraPure Ro-90 got delivered yesterday. I'm setting it up now. I'm getting 110ml/min. So it's not even on the chart. Do I need to buy a booster unit?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If your water pressure is not at 70 psi, yes...most areas around me keep the water pressure around 40, and even then fluctuates. I bought the pressure pump and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gauge on my RO/DI reads 30psi. Low!! Where is a good place to get a pump at? Can I still use my RO/DI without it for now?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
How long is the flow restrictor that is installed?

Did you let the system run for at least an hour before measuring the waste to get the membrane saturated and working correctly?

Measure the waste flow for exacty one minute then do the same with the treated flow for one minute and if it is between 3:1 and 4:1 waste to good you will be OK.

40 psi is about the bare minimum a membrane will work at efficiently and is available in most areas. You might call your water utility and ask what pressure you could expect in your area, they may have closed distribution valves they don't know about or you may have a pressure regulator on your incoming water line that needs adjusting.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long is the flow restrictor that is installed?

Did you let the system run for at least an hour before measuring the waste to get the membrane saturated and working correctly?

Measure the waste flow for exacty one minute then do the same with the treated flow for one minute and if it is between 3:1 and 4:1 waste to good you will be OK.

40 psi is about the bare minimum a membrane will work at efficiently and is available in most areas. You might call your water utility and ask what pressure you could expect in your area, they may have closed distribution valves they don't know about or you may have a pressure regulator on your incoming water line that needs adjusting.
AZDesertRat- I knew you would chime in here! It's only 12" long. I did let it run for over a hour. I got closer to 3:1 ratio. I also did the glass test. 2 of the same glasses. It took 3.5 glasses of waste to make 1. If I call they can turn the water pressure up at my house? That would be awesome! I need better pressure for more then just making RO/DI water. I'm reading about 32psi on my RO/DI.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yes 32 is not enough to work 60 to 70 is best. I would say if you can only get it to 40 you will want to get a booster pump.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So does anyone know where to get a decent pump for a decent price? And where?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scratch that. I found my pressure regulator in my house and turned up my pressure. I'm now getting 60psi! Yes!!!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Great.
What is your tap water TDS? If its not too bad 3:1 is fine for the waste ratio.
While I use a booster pump its not necessary and you can do quite well at anything over 40 psi.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My tap water TDS is 208. Is that ok to run or do I need to cut the restrictor some more?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You should be fine at 3:1 to 3.5:1 with a tap TDS of only 208. My tap TDS is over 600 so on my normal RO system I run at 4:1 to keep it flushed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here in the Phoenix area it also helps to run your water through a softener before the RO/DI

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
All RO and RO/DI systems should be on softened water. Membrane manufacturers recommend softened water and will not honor any warranty claims if they were not on softened water.
Water softeners do not lower TDS, in fact in most cases they actually raise the TDS as the ion exchange rate between sodium and calcium and magnesium are not a 1:1 ratio. They do make it easier for a membrane to work though as sodium is easier for them to remove.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts