The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting new filter replacements soon for my 90 GPD refurb system. ive always in the past just replaced the old filters with what came with original purchase, but after looking at the website i see now theres a new upgraded RO membrane for 90gpd that has 99% rejection instead of the 96% that mine comes with.

im willing to pay the extra money for the upgrade since i know it will make my other filters last longer in the long run. the only thing is will i be able to just throw an upgraded RO membrane into my unit without upgrading any other parts?

what would be the best sediment, carbon, and RO membranes that my unit could use?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks chi and wiskey, i will most likely get it then.

other than the RO membrane, are you also using the pleated .35 micron or the zetasorb absolute .2 micron sediment filter or is the 1 micron that the 90gps comes with good enough? if i can spend a little extra to also save my carbon from clogging/exhausting then im all in for that aswell. not sure if the pleated filters actually work in the 90gpd.

with carbon, there seems to be a 1 micron, .5 micron, a 1 micron extra chloramine removing carbon filter, and a .5 one that reduced lead. i guess just the .5 micron for best results?

with the di ive been using the silica buster color indicating di resin, not sure if that is worth upgrading aswell?

thanks.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,238 Posts
You are a little bit beyond my depth at this point, we need AZ Desert Rat.

I can tell you that I use 0.5 Micron sediment and two 0.5 micron carbon blocks on AZ's recommendation. (not sure two are needed but my filter fit them so it never hurts to have a carbon backup) I'm still using a big bag of DI that I bought a while ago, I know it's not the best but I'll use it until it runs out.

Maybe giving them a call is a good idea? I'm sure Spectrapure can steer you in the right direction!

Whiskey

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i may just stick with your setup for now, thinking about it i only have a 60 gallon tank system so i feel if i got all of those really high capacity filters id have to end up throwing them away to disinfect the rodi system well before i actually exhaust any of them (i have soft water in long island with a tds of 160 usually)

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Whether you need the silica buster would depend on you source water.
If you don't have high silica I would go for something else.
It is unfortunate that it costs a fortune to get a thorough testing of your water done.
It would be very helpful to know what you need to remove and how much of it there is.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im actually unsure if my source water has high silicates, thankfully a couple of my good buddies work at the local water district so ill give them a shout and see if they know on their end. i was told that we use a huge amount of sodium hydroxide or caustic soda to keep our ph from 7.4-7.8 so im not sure if that is an issue in itself.

the reason im using the silica buster is becuase that is what they sent me when i bought the 90gpd refub package, i've always just been replacing exactly what i had in an effort to not run into any unwanted problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.